Capturing Footage... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 30th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing Footage...

Hi All,

I tried searching for this but couldn't find the answer.

I recently purchased the XH and the question I have relates to transfering the footage onto the computer via firewire (HD/24fps).
To avoid excessive usage of the tape heads, can i take the HD recorded tape from the XH and playback or transfer to computer using a consumer DV camera? I have an old one sitting around but wasn't sure whether this would jeopordize the quality.

Thanks in advance.
Ash Varma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Trustee

You cannot capture HDV with a DV camera. You'll need something that supports that unique Canon format, which limits you to the HV30 and HV40. Even though the HV30 shoots a different version of 24f than the XH A1, it can play it back. I don't know if that format was supported on the HV20 or 10.

I have an HV30 that I successfully use for capturing A1 footage.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Tripp.

Are there any other devices which you can connect to your computer to capture footage?
Ash Varma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Capture Footage

Just use your camera to download to your computer. There is no need to get something else to do the job unless you are shooting and wanting to download at the same time. There will not be any exceptional wear and tear on your camera by downloading to your computer. Save your money!
Phil Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders