Lowest effective Shutter Speed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Lowest effective Shutter Speed?

When filming with the XHA1 in low light situation (like a wedding reception) whats the lowest you can set set the shutter forwhile still keeping a quality image (when shooting 60I). I mormally film under very controlled situations but I have a few other events lined up where the lighing will be dim. Any thoughts?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Kelvin. I wouldn't go below 1/30s (or 1/25s in PAL countries). Even at that speed there will be motion blur, but the slower you go the worse it gets.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Trustee

Richard's right. If you want to go with a slower shutter speed you will get blurring and will effectively change the frame rate to something lower depending on what you select. It will still be 29.97 on tape but it will look like something slower.

You probably know that upping the gain can help to a point before noise gets to be a problem. There are reports of some presets designed for low light but I've heard they might cause other problems. Search this list for more info on that.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Motion Blur and 1/30? I've played around with this setting and it loks fine in the viewfinder, but are you saying that it might actaully look different on DVD? I could try shooting at 30f in order to let more light in, but I dont have much experience with this setting and I would hate to learn a lesson the hard way.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Trustee

It is difficult to judge image quality on the viewfinder or LCD panel, you really need to display on something larger.

In any case, the amount of MB will depend on the amount of movement in the shot (obviously). For your purposes, if you shoot something that is similar to what you typically shoot, then if you don't see MB (on a proper monitor) you know the setting is OK for you.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have to use 1/25 quite a lot. Sometimes the motion blur can add an "artistic" flavour to it. There probably won't be much fast action at a wedding, apart from the dancing, so would probably be fine.

Here's a clip I did last week at 1/25: The Red Stripe Band at The Forth Inn - Callander2009 Festival Preview

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lewis View Post
Motion Blur and 1/30? I've played around with this setting and it loks fine in the viewfinder, but are you saying that it might actaully look different on DVD? I could try shooting at 30f in order to let more light in, but I dont have much experience with this setting and I would hate to learn a lesson the hard way.
This is why there's no substitute for experience and practice. The more we understand the limitations and capabilities of our equipment, the better shooters we will be. I think there's something a bit liberating about shooting for no reason at all. I am free to try different things I wouldn't on a "for purpose" shoot. Tapes and electricity are nearly free so why not do it to hone one's craft.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders