DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Why when i shoot 30f or 24f i feel like the footage is Strobing, Flashes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/465363-why-when-i-shoot-30f-24f-i-feel-like-footage-strobing-flashes.html)

Arthur Abramov October 9th, 2009 03:09 AM

Why when i shoot 30f or 24f i feel like the footage is Strobing, Flashes

do you know what i mean?

its like strobe light hits the screen, not clear like film, does it have to do with my shutter speed or the frame rate?

Tripp Woelfel October 10th, 2009 07:11 AM

If I shift the camera from 60i to 24f, it does look as you describe. I don't know if it's just my not being used to the cadence of 24f, the way that the Canon displays the 24f image on the LCD and viewfiender or both. Viewed in the edit suite and in the finished product, 24f looks fine and no strobing is evident.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's most evident when shifting from 60i to 24f. I think it takes my eyes a while to get used to it, but like everything else about me my eyes are old and slow.

Mark Barbieri October 11th, 2009 04:35 PM

I get that effect when I use a fast shutter speed. I get the best results when I use a shutter speed of 1/60 for 30f. I think using a shutter speed faster than half the frame rate leads to the strobe effect.

Arthur Abramov October 14th, 2009 03:05 PM

Another revalation today

a day ago i was shooting a Birthday in a hall , i was experiencing something rather weired, i was on sd 3:4,16:9 ratio and HDV at 60i , and i was under flourecent light, and guess what i was getting? real flashes strobing at 1/30 shutter Speed up untill 1/100 it stopped, one step up on the shutter speed the flashes strobe faster, unbelievable, when i went out it didn't strobe much because the light is a regular bulb , no problem either kind of speed.

what is the matter with the camera.? do u guys get the same thing?

share with me.

Jonathan Shaw October 14th, 2009 04:33 PM

The strobing on 24 and 30p, is it on the LCD or when you view the footage after? For me 25p looks crappy on the lcd but can look great on a HDTV.

Can you post examples of the footage and we will try and figure it out. Doesn't sound like a camera fault.

Jon

Tripp Woelfel October 14th, 2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov (Post 1432350)
what is the matter with the camera.? do u guys get the same thing?

Unlikely. Could be weird or cheap lights, or something weird with the camera.

A 1/60 shutter should work in complete sync with the US power grid since it's 60Hz or cycles. Increasing the shutter speed to 1/100 would likely make things worse since 100 is not divisible by 60. 1/30 might be a better option, but there are other potential issues.

Arthur Abramov October 16th, 2009 11:19 AM

So i guess i need to set it up to 50Hz because i'm in Europe with an NTSC camera.?

how do i set it up?

Jack Walker October 16th, 2009 02:27 PM

If you are shooting NTSC 60i in Europe, set your shutter speed to 1/100 to eliminate catching cycling from light sources.

Arthur Abramov October 17th, 2009 12:27 PM

May be i could play around with the Clear Scan Function..?

anyway i tried but it starts from 60.01hz anyway i think i'll upgrade it to Pal and i won't have any problems.