Why when i shoot 30f or 24f i feel like the footage is Strobing, Flashes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 9th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why when i shoot 30f or 24f i feel like the footage is Strobing, Flashes

do you know what i mean?

its like strobe light hits the screen, not clear like film, does it have to do with my shutter speed or the frame rate?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Trustee

If I shift the camera from 60i to 24f, it does look as you describe. I don't know if it's just my not being used to the cadence of 24f, the way that the Canon displays the 24f image on the LCD and viewfiender or both. Viewed in the edit suite and in the finished product, 24f looks fine and no strobing is evident.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's most evident when shifting from 60i to 24f. I think it takes my eyes a while to get used to it, but like everything else about me my eyes are old and slow.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Tourist

I get that effect when I use a fast shutter speed. I get the best results when I use a shutter speed of 1/60 for 30f. I think using a shutter speed faster than half the frame rate leads to the strobe effect.
Mark Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Another revalation today

a day ago i was shooting a Birthday in a hall , i was experiencing something rather weired, i was on sd 3:4,16:9 ratio and HDV at 60i , and i was under flourecent light, and guess what i was getting? real flashes strobing at 1/30 shutter Speed up untill 1/100 it stopped, one step up on the shutter speed the flashes strobe faster, unbelievable, when i went out it didn't strobe much because the light is a regular bulb , no problem either kind of speed.

what is the matter with the camera.? do u guys get the same thing?

share with me.
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Major Player

The strobing on 24 and 30p, is it on the LCD or when you view the footage after? For me 25p looks crappy on the lcd but can look great on a HDTV.

Can you post examples of the footage and we will try and figure it out. Doesn't sound like a camera fault.

Jon
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov View Post
what is the matter with the camera.? do u guys get the same thing?
Unlikely. Could be weird or cheap lights, or something weird with the camera.

A 1/60 shutter should work in complete sync with the US power grid since it's 60Hz or cycles. Increasing the shutter speed to 1/100 would likely make things worse since 100 is not divisible by 60. 1/30 might be a better option, but there are other potential issues.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So i guess i need to set it up to 50Hz because i'm in Europe with an NTSC camera.?

how do i set it up?
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Trustee

If you are shooting NTSC 60i in Europe, set your shutter speed to 1/100 to eliminate catching cycling from light sources.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

May be i could play around with the Clear Scan Function..?

anyway i tried but it starts from 60.01hz anyway i think i'll upgrade it to Pal and i won't have any problems.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders