DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Question on the XH A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/465470-question-xh-a1.html)

Kevin Saitta October 11th, 2009 03:20 AM

Question on the XH A1

Hello Everyone,

it has been a long time since I have been able to get back on here and I am finally dusting off my camera XH-A1 after about a year and a half now. I am so bummed as it never got any use, but now I am ready once again even though all the technology seems to have changed.

Question, I am looking for a way other than using the camera to get the footage from the camera to my HD so I can edit it. I cannot remember the name of the device you can buy to put the DV tape in and copy it directly to the hard drive. Any help?

Also, I noticed that Vegas 9 pro is now out. I am still using 8 pro, it is worth the upgrade?

I have so many question and bummed that I was not able to use my gear for a long time.

Thanks,

Kev

Peter Moretti October 11th, 2009 03:32 AM

You can just buy a new or used Canon HV series camcorder and use that to capture from if you don't want to capture from your XH-A1.

The most notable advancements in Vegas 9 have to do with Red Camera support. Since you're shooting Canon HDV, Vegas 9 probably isn't an essential upgrade for you.

HTH.

Kevin Saitta October 11th, 2009 03:56 AM

Peter thanks.

One more question, since the batteries have been sitting around will they be ok or are they ruined?

I have two batteries for the camera and they have sat in the bag, but not in the camera. I think I fully charged them the last time I used the camera a year 1/2 ago.

Thanks,

Kevin

Richard Hunter October 11th, 2009 05:22 AM

Hi Kevin. I would just try charging the batteries again and see if they are OK. My batteries are all older than yours and still going strong, although mine have been getting regular usage rather than lying around.

Richard

David W. Jones October 11th, 2009 06:05 AM

Why not just use the camera for playback?
You're not going to wear it out playing back tapes as little as you use it.
And you will save yourself close to a grand.

Tom Hardwick October 11th, 2009 06:25 AM

I agree - use the XH as a playback deck and simply charge up the Li-ions and away you go.

John Estcourt October 11th, 2009 12:19 PM

I will second what Peter said, the upgrade for vegas 9 isnt worth it for HDV if you have 8c working well.
You could buy a Canon hv40 camera for playback of tapes to your PC but there really isnt much point, just watch the firewire ports when connecting camera to PC make sure both are off before connecting.
Canon sent me a nice leaflet explaining this when i fried one of my cams ports!
thankfully the warranty covered the repair.
canon UK are very good.

Taky Cheung October 11th, 2009 06:51 PM

Since I already have HV30 as a second cam, I am also using HV30 as a playback deck. It occupies less space on my desk.

Kevin Saitta October 13th, 2009 05:23 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies! Looks like I will stick with Vegas 8 I just downloaded 8.c; Like I said I have been away from video for FAR too long.