24f DV with XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 16th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24f DV with XH-A1

I'm trying to capture it via Premiere cs4, i can't get it to show the picture or capture anyhow.?

i set the project sequence to NTSC widescreen since i shot 16:9 60i coz they dont have 24f.

do i need to play with the configurations in the menu the camera?

help, i'm kinda worried, i have a project that i need to edit.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Trustee

The title of your post and the post itself seem to contradict each other.

Exactly what did you have the camera set on when you shot the video?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll rephrase it in a descriptive way, i have some footage shot in 24f, now as for the Sequence in premiere pro i can't set the frame rate to be 24f in SD sequence, so i have to choose 60i and the program does its thing (pulldowns or whatever), but when i launch the capture panel, i don't see any picture even though i can control the play and the rewind bottons in the Capture panel controlinf the camera, but no picture nor able to capture,

So why is that? what am i missing?
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

oh, here i found DV 24p with the NTSC preset in Premiere pro, i set up the sequence but i'm still unable to capture any footage, increadible.

i tried to capture HDV footage and everything went well, i can't understand it.
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've re-read your post like five times and I still can't quite understand what is going on. Are you saying that there are parts of your footage which are shot HD 24p and others that are SD 60i? If so, you can't batch capture clips with different settings without resetting the clip settings in your capture window. As far as I know, the sequence settings don't actually matter because when you move footage from your browser into the timeline, or from the viewer into the timeline and the settings are different, the program prompts you asking if you want to set the settings of your sequence to the same settings of your footage. At least, that's what happens in Final Cut Pro...I can't quite be sure about Adobe Premier since I haven't used it in ages.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

its one tape 24f DV, i'm unable to capture it, don't see any picture even thought i can control the camera via the capture panel, then i restored the capture panel and switched to A Different tape with HDV footage, and it actually showerd picture and i was able to capture it.

understand now what i mean?
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Major Player

Maybe you have playback set on the A1 as HDV & not DV or AUTO. It makes sense in a way since you can capture HDV but not your 24f DV. Then again, it could be anything... I know nothing about Premiere.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #8
Trustee

I recorded in 60i HDV, then on the same tape recorded immediately after in DV 24F widescreen.

I went to Premiere CS3, started capture, and both the 60i HDV and the 24F DV widescreen preview in the capture window.

What happens if you try to capture with WinDV?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

i tired sony vegas, and cyberlink capture software, and one of the windows capure, none of them capture any frames, but all of them control the camera bottons from the software, why is that..?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Major Player

If you shot in 24F, I think that must have been HDV. So you will have to make sure that your camera is set to download HDV into Premiere: ie do not downconvert direct from the camera - to change the settings, switch off, disconnect the firewire cable, go to the menu (check in the manual - I don't have it to hand - how to make this change) then switch off, reconnect everything, and try again.

If you want SD, you will have to convert it when you export from Premiere.

When downloading into Premiere, you don't always see the video you are capturing on the screen, just look for the timecode whizzing by to know that something is happening.
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Regular Crew

i am having the greatest issue Capturing my tape that was shot originaly with my XH-A1 24f DV 16:9 ,

my question is simple to you dear folks, did any of you actually succeeded capturing a tape with Premiere CS4, that was recorded the same way mine was?

i finaly found success with Cyberlink Power director, it actualy let me capture the footage but the quality is realy low, it says MPEG-2 video,

so guys help me out..
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

i finally found a way how to capture the original footage in AVI , well premiere pro doesn't work at all no way to capture any frames at all, Cyberlink Producer lets you capture it in a very low quality MPEG-2 video format, but the last one i tried was Muvee Reveal, does Capture it in the highest quality , the way it should capture in any program which is in AVI file, rich and nice :)) finally , and now i can bring it over to premiere pro to edit it,

what a pain to work with different programs, the workflow is insufficient, i wish premiere was more compatible , adobe tean WORK HARDER !!! :)
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #13
Major Player

You must be doing something wrong. Why not try over at the Premiere forum?

Attend the World Premiere - The Digital Video Information Network
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Did anyone Capture DV24f 16:9 , with Premiere Pro cs4 ever?
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov View Post
Did anyone Capture DV24f 16:9 , with Premiere Pro cs4 ever?
Arthur,

If I understand you correctly, I believe what you need to do is this:

When you create a new project in Premiere, select the "Canon HDV" folder and "Canon 24F HDV" preset option.

Now, I am using CS3 but there should be a similar preset in CS4, if I had to guess.

You should be able to capture your footage after that. During capture, premiere will not always show the picture in real time on your computer, but will still capture the footage. Just keep track of your capture time code and any dropped frames.

If you select any other preset, your 24f will not capture/display properly. It is not 24p.

If you have selected the above mentioned preset, then you have something set up wrong in your camera. From there, you should consult your user manual.

Good luck.
Eric Sorensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders