DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   LCD and Viewfinder Dead (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/466608-lcd-viewfinder-dead.html)

Gabe Spangler October 27th, 2009 06:01 PM

LCD and Viewfinder Dead

I have a huge problem and maybe a fellow A1'er knows the answer ... or solution.

I was shooting today with my A1 and the LCD and viewfinder decided to stop working in all record modes. However, if I switch to the play mode, they work fine.

NO, it is not a the lock/standby switch, or the tape/card switch.

It's so weird, because the camera powers up in manual recording mode and the led dial lights up and everything. It's just that the LCD and viewfinder are blank, black.

Called Canon and got the usual retarded response. She asked me like 10 times if the lock switch was engaged and gave no other help.

What sucks is I was scheduled to direct and shoot a short next Monday and Tuesday. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

What also sucks is I am only about a month past my year warranty.

Anyone else have this problem? And if so, what was the cause and fix?

Thanks.

Tripp Woelfel October 27th, 2009 06:19 PM

Weird one that. Sounds like a logic board issue. If the camera will actually record in spite of the LCD and viewfinder being dead, I cannot think of anything else.

You could get around this problem for your shoot by renting an external monitor or you could just rent another camera.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas.

Gabe Spangler October 27th, 2009 06:34 PM

Thought about renting, but at $220 a day for 3 days ... no thanks. This is nearly a no-budget project. I can't justify spending hundreds to rent a camera. I only wish the one that I spent $3500 on 13 months ago would work.

Chris Dickinson October 28th, 2009 11:01 AM

I had this problem a few months after buying an A1 a couple of yrs ago. I took it back to Canon and had some circuit board replace FOC by them. I guess you need to speak to Canon or the company that you bought the camera from.

Chris

Allan Black October 28th, 2009 02:58 PM

Gabe, did you try the reset button?

Cheers.

Ian Wright October 28th, 2009 03:29 PM

you could use the screen of any portable DVD player you can beg/borrow to get you through next week.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Gabe Spangler October 28th, 2009 03:57 PM

Yes, tried the reset button. Didn't do anything. I don't get an image even if I run through an external monitor.

Tripp Woelfel October 28th, 2009 06:00 PM

Short of a ball peen hammer to permanently resolve the issue, I think it needs to go back to Canon for some therapy.

Gabe Spangler October 28th, 2009 10:40 PM

Yep, I think you're right. I'm pretty disgusted with Canon as a brand. My $3500 product goes kaplooey one month out of warranty and they showed no real interest in going the extra mile to help. Not a good way to get repeat customers.

The image quality is good on these Canons, but the built quality sucks. I will send it in, have it repaired for some ungodly high charge I'm sure, then I will sell the thing and buy a Sony or something that doesn't break for no apparent reason.