Question about Shutter speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Question about Shutter speed

For those that frequently set the XHA1 to a shutter speed of 30 (shooting 60I) because of low light enviroments, have you noticed any problems such as trails? I have an event to film which will have low lighting. I want to keep the shutter at 30 for the extra light. I posted a similar thread in the past and someone said that trailing may be an issuie. I dont have much time to experiment before the event, and I just wanted to get some thoughts from others. I just want to make sure that when I go to edit, that I dont get some unexpected result. The event is a wedding.

Last edited by Kevin Lewis; October 29th, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Kevin,

I always set my shutter speed at 30 when I film for interviews at night The reason is that I don't move the camera, however you will see some trailing if you pan.

Matthew
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Matthew:

Thats what I was told before, but I have yet to see trails. I'm wondering if the lcd is not showing the trails but they will be there when I edit. Do you notice the trailing live in the lcd screen or only when you edit?
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin, try Randy's low light preset PFVISION it's very good. Take care putting the numbers in, don't go below 60 speed.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/xh-serie...-included.html

Cheers.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Kevin,

I do see them in the LCD as I am filming.

Matthew
Old October 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Matthew:

I have experimenteed with this over the last few days but could not duplicate a ghosting problem wehn filming 60I and the shutter at 30. I have an event next week and I will need as much light as possible. I torn between using the 30 or not.
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Kevin,

I also do some filming in the low light specially for school playes and concerts.
For those occasions I always use the PFVISION preset, set the Gain to either 3 or 6 and open my Iris all the way. To be honest with you wihen I have to pan the camera I set the shutter speed to 60 so I don't get any ghostings.
In post I do the color corrections and exposure and the rest.

Hope it helps you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders