xha1s external monitor with focus assist? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 12th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

xha1s external monitor with focus assist?

Quick question - I'm thinking of getting an xha1s and pairing it with an external monitor (like a smallHD) and was wondering if using the 'External EVF monitor output terminal', will the peaking and zoom focus aides show up on it (the smallHD) ?

Does anyone use this monitor or similar and use this feature?
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Really? That many looks and not a bite? Looks as though I will have to call Canon and find out from the horses mouth so to speak.

EDIT

OK so Ive spent almost an hour on the phone to Canon Australia getting bounced around, getting called back, told to call other numbers and ultimately hung up on...still no closer to finding anything out at all. I sent them an email but honestly Im not expecting an answer anytime soon so really hope someone here can help me out. Seriously I wouldn't think it would be this hard? :-(

Last edited by Paul Cook; November 12th, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't think it will Paul.
I use a Marshall monitor with my XH A1. It's fine for focusing and framing but I have to look at the EVF for zebras etc.
The magnification works, if I remember correctly. Sorry, I don't have time right now to hook it up and check.
Old November 13th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply - can you let me know if you have the XHA1 or the revised XHA1s - as according to this 'whats different' list:

Canon XH A1 / XH A1S Comparison - January 2009 - picturelineNews

the 's' model has a new 'External EVF monitor output terminal (component)- provides manual focus confirmation' which Im guessing the original A1 doesnt have?

Now based on that description I can only guess that its the same as standard component out monitoring but with the added benefit of focus confirmation..but Id like to be sure, and to make sure its a full HD signal being sent over the component as well...

EDIT

OK just had a thought - RTFM - so a download of the XHA1s pdf from this site confirms that an external monitor connected to the 'Viewfinder component out terminal' will in fact show the exact same picture as displayed on the camcorders viewfinder screen - so both peaking and magnifying.

It doesn't confirm if its a HD signal but Im assuming it would be? Still love to hear from anyone who has actually used this feature and if it all works as wonderfully as Im hoping it will.
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Paul

I've got the original XH A1
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Richard,

Still no answer but now I suspect that the viewfinder component out terminal may not be a HD signal...can anyone confirm this?
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Major Player

I know with my Canon XL H1S, the EVF2 port outputs everything that the viewfinder has (including peaking, zebras, etc.) on an external monitor using the supplied Canon component cable.

I would assume that the XH A1S does the same through it;'s viewfinder component out.

DO note though that it outputs 480p out this terminal.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael,

Thats what I was beginning to think - so basically you can monitor in full HD (well at least 720p which is the native res of the smallHD) via the normal component out, or you can use the viewfinder out with peaking zebras etc BUT its only 480p.

I can live with that!

Cheers guys!
Paul Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders