Audio Question: XH A1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #1
New Boot

Audio Question: XH A1S

I sometimes use a Sony Wireless hand held mic (UTX-H2) and receiver (URX-P2) attached to CH1 on the camera. I have tried it in CH2 but it does not work. I also have a camera mounted shotgun mic in CH2.
My problem is that I can run the hand held mic in CH1 no problem but when I shut it off I have to plug in the shotgun into CH1 or it does not work. I would like to be able to not have to replug the shotgun and have it work when the hand held is shut off without having to plug it into CH1. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have the Audio Setup as follows:

Output CH ----All CH/All CH
CH 1 Input --- XLR Mic
CH2 Input --- XLR Mic
XLR REC CH --- CH1/CH2
John D. Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi John I'm not surprised to see someone having strife, the A1s has a complicated mic set up and the manual is missing some audio info. Have you got the 48volts enabled on Ch2 and not on CH1 or the other way around?

How about attenuation on the XLR inputs, is CH1 on and CH2 off or the other way around? Turn both audio limiters off. Did you make up a custom XLR cable for the URX-P2?

Check your other audio settings in the cams menu and btw welcome to the forum :) Cheers.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #3
New Boot

Both mics have been running off of batterys not 48V.

The attenuation switch is Off.

Audio Level switches are on "A"

XLR Mic Att is off on Ch1 and Ch2.

No custom cable for wireless receiver.

I read in the manual page 51 2/3rds the way down "When XLR REC CH is set to CH1/CH2 audio from the CH2 input terminal will not be recorded". Only other option is go to CH1 in menu. Weird. Does this mean CH2 is useless?
John D. Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

"I read in the manual page 51 2/3rds the way down "When XLR REC CH is set to CH1/CH2 audio from the CH2 input terminal will not be recorded".

Yep it looks that way so that XLR CH 1 input (mono) is fed to both tape audio tracks.

Page 52. In menu ..select AUDIO SETUP then XLR ALC LINK and SEPARATE.

Set Audio Level switch to "M"
HTH Cheers.
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

xha1s audio problem

XLR ALC LINK and SEPARATE.
This option remains blanked out not matter what I do? Is CH2 inoperative? I want to control each channel separately and manually. I have an Audio Technica Stereo mike that requires phantom power
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Tim which model Audio Technica mic do you have?

If it has 2 XLR outputs, turn the 48V off and try plugging the right XLR into the A1s channel 2. Switch the 48V on and see if the XLR ALC LINK in the menu is enabled.

Cheers.
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

xha1s audio problem

It's the Audio Technica 825. Sorry, I should have mentioned that....should I still try what you suggest? Does the camcorder actually have two mike preamps?
Old December 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

xha1s audio problem

I tried this with each mike input. Only Ch1 works and Link remains blanked out
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Tim, yep they have 2 mic preamps.

With XLR Ch 1 selected to mic, you haven't got XLR Ch 2 selected to 'line input' by any chance? Manual pages 50-52. Cheers.
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Regular Crew

xha1s audio problem

No, the two mike inputs are set to XLR Mike. All I want is to have the AT mike work the way it is supposed to!
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Try the AT825 with both its XLR inputs connected, 1 and 2. Use headphones to see if both A1s channels (left and right) currently work off the channel 1 volume control.

That's want you'd want to have happen so your stereo audio image stays centred. In other words you don't want to separate channels 1 and 2 in this instance. Cheers.
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Regular Crew

xha1s audio problem

I tried this. Both vu meters are reading sound, but Trim for Ch2 is blanked out as well as the ALC link. Gain is manual and controlled by CH1 for both channels. Listened on headphones but not sure if I was getting stereo.
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #13
Inner Circle

To check the stereo, via h/phones you or someone, click their fingers each side (left and right) of the AT825.

Try a camera reset then check all the cam onboard mic settings, all of them. If no go, go through the manual page by page, and/or call Canon support or around local cam shops for clues. When you correct it .. let's know. Best I can do, good luck.
Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders