No Firewire signal from camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 6th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Major Player

No Firewire signal from camera

I own 2 A1 cameras.
One unit outputs firewire to my DVD recorder or DV deck just fine. I can see the picture on my TV connected to it. The other is not recognized by the deck. Is there some sort of software update that I don't know about?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

David, currently there's no software updates for the A1 and I don't think at this stage there ever will be.

In the A1 not outputting firewire, I'd say either its FW output is cactus, or something in its play menu is not set the same as your other A1.

You could line both play menus up together to spot any differences or go through the manual P106. Cheers.
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

When my A1 stopped being recognized by my PC, I sent it in to Canon. Their response was that a bad firewire cable must have shorted the port. They fixed it as a courtesy. I noticed about the same time there were talks on this site about a possible flaw in the firewire port that made them less reliable than other camera ports. I haven't experienced a bad cable since then (or prior to that for that matter).
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Major Player

hum.....shorted......not a good word when it comes to this situation.
thx to all for the replys.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah, the 4 pin FW port on the A1 is a real trap. Because the cam is generally not sitting 'at eye level' so to speak, it's easy to push the cable plug in at an angle.

One bad push and it's .. ?....#@#%$!

And stay away from cheap Ebay FW cables, reportedly the pins bend easily and break off. The A1s has the 6 pin port, supposed to be more secure but use the same care there.

Cheers.
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Totally agree regarding cheap FW cables. Definitely stay away.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Trustee

Cracked mine somehow about 6 months ago. Camera had just left the one year warranty, though I called up Canon and they fixed it for free, saying there was a 60-90 day grace period they included after the warranty was up. Good thing because I think the price was regularly somewhere close to $300 for the labor and parts.

Canon fixed it for free and sent me a "how-to" instruction packet about NOT DOING IT AGAIN!

There is hope. Give one of their (US-based) phone reps a call, and just be real nice.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Trustee

David, in using the XHa1 with a computer for OnLocation, I found the 4-pin firewire terminal "twitchy" --- nothing broken about it but bad design, you had to "tweak" the cable ever so slightly on my camera -- nudge the connector a little from side to side --- to get it to talk to the computer. It may just be a hincky connection... /Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

These issues probably influenced Canon to switch to 6-pin FireWire on the XH A1S and G1S.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have to say I don't know what I would have done without my HV20. My Sony FX1 had the same thing happen... firewire port damaged, and the little HV20 just stepped up and captured the FX1 footage without complaint.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I've only used the A1 FW port once in 2yrs, too scared to. Presently dubbing A1 HDV and it's T/C direct to a new tape on an HV20.

It's original 50i footage of our Super Connie for a new TV series. They can do all the deinterlacing and post, just give 'em the original stuff with 30secs of SMPTE bars at the head. I can see the improvement over 18months going from the first custom preset I played with to VIVIDRGB and PANALOOK. Just on the LCD.

The original A1 factory presets were not good .. till our heroes got going :) Cheers.
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Mine went - $800 repair Main board was toast, althought the only function that didn't work was the firewire :(
Ron Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #13
New Boot

NO Fire Wire Output

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
I own 2 A1 cameras.
One unit outputs firewire to my DVD recorder or DV deck just fine. I can see the picture on my TV connected to it. The other is not recognized by the deck. Is there some sort of software update that I don't know about?
This happened to mine. I reset all camera parameters to default. All became well. I did lose my function presets but no big deal...
William Tegethoff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders