Canon VL-10Li Light Alternative? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon VL-10Li Light Alternative?

Hey there...

I do weddings and I have been using the Canon VL-10Li light with my XH-A1 for about a year now and am pretty happy with the results. I especially love the fact that it uses the same batteries as the camera and only one battery will last me the entire night. Love it, love it, love it...

My one issue with it is that the light does not have a long range. If I want to zoom in on something far away, a lot of times the light will do almost nothing.

Does anyone know of a stronger alternative to the VL-10Li that will allow me to still use the same batteries as the camera? The light is 10w, what if I where to just use a stronger watt bulb? Would that just fry the light?
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #2
New Boot

The Comer 1800 is an exact replica of the Sony HVL-LBPA and is brighter and is half the price if you factor in the battery cost and charger.

The Comer 900 is the smaller version of the 1800, and is easily the best small on camera LED light investment you will make.
Ravi Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It doesn't use the same batteries as the A1 though, right?
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
New Boot

It uses knock off batteries for around $38 and they last just as long as the Sony originals which cost around $175. But if you are leery of knock off batteries it can also use the Sony originals.

I prefer having separate batteries for my light, and separate batteries for my camera. And I only use original Canon BP-970G batteries for my XH-A1S.

Last edited by Ravi Kumar; December 19th, 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
Ravi Kumar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders