Rode NTG-2 mounted on XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 21st, 2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rode NTG-2 mounted on XH A1

Hi, I've recently bought a NTG-2 and I was eager to capture sharp and clean sounds with it.
I'm using it, mounted on the camera itself, to capture dialogs.

However, I've discovered that it was picking more "hums" or ambient parasite sounds than the dialogs. I mean, I can hear the voices, it's "okay", but for a 350$ investment I thought I would have a better result.

Any hints?

Thanks
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the same setup. The important thing is to ensure that the mic is isolated from camera vibration - a hard-surface connection between mic and camera will pick up any vibration or hum transmitted through the camera body. I use a Rode shockmount which works pretty well. Others use rubber grommets (put them round the mic barrel to cushion it).
Nick Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

You should also get the mic off the camera and as close to the subject as possible. If you are doing run and gun interviews, that isn't always an option. But if you are doing planned sit-down interviews, get a boom pole and move the mic in close.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, I'll buy a SM5 and see what happens.

What is the MSRP?

Also, what length of XLR cable and what brand/type do you guys own? (If you own a NTG-* mounted with a shockmount with the XH-A1)

EDIT : I've bought one, I'm now looking for a decent priced XLR cable with good quality.

Last edited by Etienne Didelot-Pothier; December 21st, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Etienne Didelot-Pothier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Rode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne Didelot-Pothier View Post
Hi, I've recently bought a NTG-2 and I was eager to capture sharp and clean sounds with it.
I'm using it, mounted on the camera itself, to capture dialogs.

However, I've discovered that it was picking more "hums" or ambient parasite sounds than the dialogs. I mean, I can hear the voices, it's "okay", but for a 350$ investment I thought I would have a better result.

Any hints?

Thanks
The Rode works great and it is expected that it will pick up camera vibration if mounted on the camera. "Don't zoom" move with the talent.
The mic does what it is supposed to.
You can get it over the talent with a boom mic stand, if a planned shot; with a wireless on the talent as well.
For run and gun the Rode gets the ambient sounds and the wireless gets the talent. If you have someone on boom you can get away without the wireless.
Wayne Dupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Trustee

As Edward suggested, if the audio is important to you... remember it is 1/2 of your product, get the microphone off of the camera.
Boom it no farther away than 3 feet.

Good Luck!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

As far as cable length for on camera use...

I made my own cable cause I like doing that... lol, I made a short like 1.5 foot cable and installed a right angle XLR on the end into the camera with a slight offset towards the mic and just used a straight piece on the mic end... Just make sure the cable you buy is for mics... don't get data XLR cable(DMX)

It also has one loop in it so that I can move the mic around in the holder if needed without ripping the cable out...
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah, I'll get a 3foot studioflex cable (high quality).
Old December 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #9
Trustee

No, not a 3 foot cable, get a 25 foot cable, but keep the mic just out of the camera frame.
Old December 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Etienne, RODE have found that when some folk buy the NTG-2, they first install a battery then start using the 48volt feature forgetting to take the battery out. After they go flat some leak .. with bad results.

One of the best extension mic cables is Canare 4 star brand. Been around for many years, well priced. We used them in all our studios where you can't skimp on quality when you're building into the walls.

This is the short on camera mic cable we use, the cable is stamped Audio Technica but it's only 1.5' Also handy as an interconnect if you're indoors and running the cable under a door, so opening and closing it doesn't scuff a longer cable.

Audio-Technica | XLR Male to XLR Angled Female | ASP00127 | B&H

Here's the longer Canare brand we use for location work, keep the XLR plugs clean to keep dirt out of the camera.

Canare | CXLRP-XLRJ-25B-G Star-Quad (L-4E6S) | CXLRP-XLRJ-25B-G

Cheers.
Old December 26th, 2009, 02:56 AM   #11
New Boot

Yes, shockmounts, blimps and a lot of other stuff.

If you have to use your NTG-2 simply put into the camera's mic holder in a strong wind, simply get another shotgun. This one is useless, as I have painfully discovered:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...rong-wind.html
Vykintas Pugaciauskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Major Player

Try this rode mount - http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...tml#post814878 (atached images)
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Understood, thanks for updating me on the subject. I'll try to get an angled cable, which should improve performances.
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Major Player

Also, make sure the camera is set to Man audio not Auto Auto gain kicks in and gives a hum and fluctuations. I use the battery powered phantom instead of camera phantom which seems to work better.
Bill
Old December 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Bill, what battery phantom do you use and how is it better? Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders