DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Does the Canon XH-A1s have an s-video out? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/469834-does-canon-xh-a1s-have-s-video-out.html)

Jeremy Doyle December 21st, 2009 10:56 PM

Does the Canon XH-A1s have an s-video out?

I did a search on this forum and haven't found evidence that it does. However, at the canon site I came across this XH A1S High Definition Camcorder :: Specifications
which clearly states that it does have an s-video terminal.

So my question is to those that have this camera. Does it have and s-video out and if it does can you do a live down convert to 4x3 while still recording HDV to tape?

I've recently done this with the sony z1, but I'm looking for a new camera and the A1s was suggested. But if it doesn'e have s-video than it won't work for my needs.

Jeremy Doyle December 23rd, 2009 03:13 PM

anyone? I thought this would be an easy question.

Richard Hunter December 23rd, 2009 08:41 PM

Hi Jeremy. I don't have the S version of the XH-A1, just the original one, but I checked the manual for the XH-A1S and there is no S-Video connector. There's a possibility you can get Y-C out of the component video sockets via a menu option but I think the chances are very slim. As you say, it should be easy for an "S" owner to answer this one.

Regarding the downconverting, you can get a live SD signal from the composite terminal while shooting HDV, but it is 16:9 aspect ratio, not 4:3. Is it common for cameras to provide cropping in this way? I haven't come across it before.

Richard

Jeremy Doyle December 24th, 2009 09:12 PM

Hi Richard,

Does the origianl A1 have and s-video out?

Using a sony Z1 in the past I have recorded to HDV while cropping to 4x3 downcovert using the s-video at the same time. I guess the s-video has been dropped from the 2nd and 3rd generation HDV cameras. That's too bad.

Thanks

Richard Hunter December 24th, 2009 09:38 PM

Hi Jeremy. No, the A1 only has composite and component outputs. May I know why you particularly need the Y-C output? I know it is better than composite, but since it is SD anyway does it matter that much? Or can't you use the component outputs? Just wondering.

Richard

David W. Jones December 25th, 2009 11:12 AM

If Y/C video is that important to you simply purchase a component to s-vid cable and be done with it!

Jeremy Doyle December 25th, 2009 03:54 PM

We have and use an s-video switcher. I didn't even know the made a component to S cable. It would be a new camera going into an already existing configuration. There's already a 50ft run of S cable hooked to the switcher. Its going to a 4x3 projector live, hence the reason for wanting to down convert. We'd also like to record the events in HDV for the best quality after the fact.

Richard Hunter December 25th, 2009 05:53 PM

Hi Jeremy. OK, I understand. Sounds to me like your best bet is to stick with the Z1, since it has everything you need. I doubt if the XH-A1S would be significantly better anyway for what you are doing.

But as David mentioned, you could use an adapter cable to get the Y-C signal. (Probably composite to Y-C is easier than component to Y-C, because it is quite small). It could be fitted at the camera end and terminate in an S-Video socket that accepts your existing 50ft cable.

Richard