Hd Laptop Monitoring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hd Laptop Monitoring

So I just got my 1st XHA1S and I am very excited about all it can do. However getting the Camera took a lot of my resources and I still would like an on site monitor. I did some searching on the site for how to set up my PC laptop as a monitor using VLC via firewire. From what I found it is possible but I couldn't find any instruction on how to set it up. Any Ideas or links would be great.
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

O.K I got it. I was making it way harder then it needed to be. If anyone else want's to know. Open the VLC player, click on media - open capture -choose the video device and click play. Full screen pops up and that's it. It's not great and the delay is huge but it's a start.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I use my laptop and Adobe On location software. It allows you to set up your laptop like a broadcast monitor.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I tried using a HD miniDV tape player as a monitor. If using the firewire, there was a big delay, but when I used the S-Video, it was much better. If your laptop has S-Video, might want to give that a try.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders