DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   need a good mic for my xha1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/473511-need-good-mic-my-xha1.html)

Andy Loos February 24th, 2010 11:26 AM

need a good mic for my xha1

Any suggestions for a mic. the one I have on the camera right now, i get a hum whenever i zoom. I just cant have this happen any longer driving me crazy.
Any suggestions, would like to keep it under $200 if possible.

Annie Haycock February 24th, 2010 12:35 PM

The only way to stop that hum is to have the microphone as far from the camera as possible. I have a Rode NTG3, but it picks up the hum when attached to, or within a foot of, the camera. But on a long cable, the problem is solved.

Philip Younger February 24th, 2010 05:48 PM

I use the Sennheiser ME66 usually with a 'dead cat' and I use a shoe mounted shock mount (mainly because the ME66 is too thin for the camera mic mount). No hum comes my way!

Annie Haycock February 25th, 2010 01:28 AM

I should add that the easiest way to eliminate the hum is simply not to zoom while filming.

Allan Black February 25th, 2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Loos (Post 1490360)
Any suggestions for a mic. the one I have on the camera right now, i get a hum whenever i zoom. I just cant have this happen any longer driving me crazy.
Any suggestions, would like to keep it under $200 if possible.

Hi Andy .. which mic is giving you trouble?

Hi Annie, from memory you're recording distant wildlife sounds? .. and you're running the NTG-3 with the A1 gain wound right up ... it that right :) This would put the G3 out of its comfort zone and outside its specs so you would get hum and noise.

Cheers.

Annie Haycock February 25th, 2010 11:52 AM

Hi Allan

Yes, I'm recording wildlife, but not distant (yet). Actually the gain is turned way down because from my house I get either sounds from the farm across the fields (farmer calling cows in, milking machine pumps etc) or sounds from aircraft passing high overhead. Mostly I'm recording onto a CF card, and wait until the camera has gone into standby mode to eliminate camera noises. But it does pick up the zoom motor if I have the mic mounted on the camera. Admittedly, I haven't used the blimp yet - for the trip I'm on at present (basically a series of stills photography workshops) I didn't have room to pack the blimp as well as the XH A1 and mic.

Cheers from snowy Scotland - I'm supposed to be going home tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be snowed-in here.

Colin McDonald February 25th, 2010 11:59 AM

Just out of curiosity, Annie - where are you just now?

G. Scott Campbell February 25th, 2010 02:46 PM

Scotland! Although I live in the California, you can tell by my name where part of my heart lies. (To round the Scottish name out, the "G." stand for "Gregory".) Regarding hiss, it may also be the pre-amp (I realize the thread is about "hum."). My AT897 works fine with my XHA1, but hisses on my HV30.

Annie Haycock February 25th, 2010 04:01 PM

Colin - I'm in Glenfeshie with Northshots. Spent part of this afternoon wading through 2ft of snow, in drifts up to my waist at times. We were supposed to be up on Cairngorm somewhere looking for ptarmigan yesterday, but abandoned that after a couple of hours. Today we should have been out looking for mountain hare, but the best we could manage was the squirrel hides near to the steading. And lots of photos of trees covered with snow. Tomorrow's sunrise somewhere above Aviemore just ain't gonna happen - at least not for us!

Reed Hewitt March 4th, 2010 04:03 PM

Andy, I use an AT875r on my XH-A1 and it works great. It comes with some spacer rings to make it fit in the XH-A1 shockmount. It won't completely reject servo hum in a quiet environment with the levels cranked up (no on-camera mic will), but the price is right and it's a huge improvement over the built-in mic.

J. Chris Moore March 4th, 2010 11:07 PM

I use a Rode NTG-2 with the rode shock mount and have 0 hum issues. Even before the shock mount, I wrapped electrical tape around the mic so it would fit in the mic bracket on the A1 and didn't have any issues with hum.