Newbie question: How many is XHA1 good for? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Newbie question: How many is XHA1 good for?

Looking to buy a used XHA1 and was wondering how many hours is too much? I really can't afford a new one but also don't want to buy a used one and it be worn out. Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject. I have tried searching this forum but haven't found anything. I know it depends on how you care for your camera but I'm sure there is an average # of hours. Thanks!
Jonathan Hust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jonathan...........

As there's no hours meter on the Canon's, it's a moot point.

With no way to tell how many hours, you're left with the old standby - load it, shoot it, review the image.

If you don't have a HD setup already, almost impossible to do.

Best you can do is get a HD screen with Component input, shoot some video with the camera and then watch it.

If you see anything in the picture you don't like, walk away.

(There's the rub - if you don't know what to look for...........)

BTW, it takes one heck of using to "wear one out".

If you plan to buy, go for a private sale rather than from a company, private users almost never run the cameras into the ground (they simply don't have the time), companies can be pretty hard on them.

Never, ever buy a S/H camera untested, it will only lead to tears. Bit of a bummer for a newby, but that's just the way it is.

Given your (self confessed) inexperience, I doubt you even have the wherewithal to even shoot the camera, so would advise giving this a big swerve.

Lower your sights to something you can buy new, or go for a used XL1s till you have the experience to handle something at this level. Not a put down, just trying to save you money and heartache in the short/ mid term.

If I have underestimated your experience, I apologise in advance, but buying a camera at this level second hand is a mine field which I would be unwilling to encourage anyone into.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jonathan, do you need specific features of the XH-A1 that you can't find in a high-end consumer camcorder? Buying used can be dangerous, but a lot of people do it. If you need the XH-A1, then just make sure you trust the seller and get some hands-on time with the unit first. Don't buy if they've used more than one brand of tapes (lubricants from different brands don't mix well and may gunk up the heads over time). Like Chris said, if you don't like ANYTHING about the camera, walk away.
Reed Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I bought my xh-a1 on ebay. Received it in like new condition with a bag for a great price (talked the seller into selling below that average cost of one of these used units). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one now on ebay if I needed another one. However my next camera will more than likely be a 5Dmkll.

If shopping on ebay, make sure the seller has a good rating and feedback and has made quite a few transactions. Use your gut and don't buy if it's too good to be true because it probably is. Find an auction that includes a bag. This is because including the bag really doesn't increase the value of the item and on average they sell for the same price as the auctions with no bag. I have bought numerous multi thousand dollar cameras, guitars, guitar amps on ebay and have never had an issue. If you do get an item you aren't satisfied with, pop it back up on ebay for the price you paid for it and start over again.

In fact I bought my copy of Final Cut Studio new this past July a week after it was released for $500. I have no idea why it was that cheap or how the seller got a copy so quick but hey, it works for me.

Buying used can be a smart decision but there is risk. These other guys make good points. However to me the risk is worth it. Just my 2 cents.
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hust View Post
Looking to buy a used XHA1 and was wondering how many hours is too much? I really can't afford a new one but also don't want to buy a used one and it be worn out. Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject. I have tried searching this forum but haven't found anything. I know it depends on how you care for your camera but I'm sure there is an average # of hours. Thanks!

Maybe check out the upgrade crowd, some guys here are going to dslrs and don't want to keep the hdv cameras?? Worth a shot?
Mestizo Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm thinking of selling/trading my low-time XHA1 for a couple of HV40's.

PM or email me if interested.

Tom

tom@thelasercutter.com
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders