Something is really wrong with my xh-a1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Something is really wrong with my xh-a1

I'VE UPGRADED MY A1 ADDED THE OPTION OF PAL SYSTEM, I WAS SHOOTING YESTERDAY SD VIDEO 16:9 50i , AFTER THE SECOND TAPE , THE CAMERA PROMPTED ME "THE HEAD IS DIRTY" I KEPT ON SHOOTING TILL THE END OF THE TAPE, LATER CLEANED THE HEAD WITH A TAPE CLEANER FOR 10 SECONDS.

NOW I'M CAPTURING THE TAPES, AND I SEE A FLICKERING HORIZONTAL BLURRED HALF LINE ON THE UPPER-MID OF THE CAMERA SCREEN, BUT NOT ON THE CAPTURED FOOTAGE, THE LAST TAPE I WAS CAPTURING DID HAVE THAT LINE FLICKER ON THE CAPTURED FOOTAGE..

WHAT CAN BE THE PROBLEM??? I BERELY USED MY CAMERA.. ITS NEW,

I I'VE CLEANED THE TAPE TWICE, NOT MORE THAN THAT.

ARTHUR.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Something Wron XH-A1 after PAL Upgrade --

Hi Arthur,

Not sure why you want to shoot in PAL when you live in NewYork/USA ? But anyway - if your camera is brand new - there should be no need to clean heads this early ! Has your camera received any bumps, drops, bangs, etc. ? Can you take a picture of the LCD screen with this "line" you mention from the tape and post it in this forum - for others to view ? That might help someone determine what is wrong.

Can you "uninstall" this PAL upgrade - by resetting your camera (go to manual and read how) ? And if you get back to factory settings - record some more footage - and see if you get this same image problem ? If you don't get same problem - I would suggest NOT upgrading to PAL - as PAL is for Europe standards recording - NOT here in U.S.

If problem persists - send it back to Canon - it should be under warranty ?

Good luck,

Russ G
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Russ.

well i moved to Israel, we use PAL in here , anyway when i record or play HDV recorded footage or record HDV , it doesn't flicker. it's only the SD functions that are now working properly.

Does the camcorder has 2 different heads, i mean one for the SD the other for the HDV.? so my assumtion is that the SD head damaged..?
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Russ G - Canon XLA1 Problems Reply

Arthur -- OK - I understand the PAL thing now. I believe there are only 2 recording heads and they record all formats of footage. No separate heads to do SD and other heads for HDV. It sounds like maybe heads are out of alignment - that is why you are getting what you describe - I guess (?) - I suggest sending back to Canon. But I would not clean heads any further.

Each time you clean heads - it wears them - do not make the mistake ever of rewinding your cleaner tape and re-using it again. Buy a new one ! Again - take to or send back to Canon for repairs ?
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Arthur .. try a camera reset .. check through your manual.
Cheers.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you guys, yeah i never rewind the cleaning tape, probably i'll send it back to them for a chech up.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders