Monopod Suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 16th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monopod Suggestions

Aloha. Was hoping to get some updated suggestions on a monopod for use with the XHA1s and Canon's Wide Angle Adapter.

I shoot a lot of run and gun at performances, concerts, auditorium type presentations, and the like. I have a Manfrotto 501 HDV tripod with fluid head. Was hoping there was a monopod that shared the same baseplate so I can go from tripod to monopod without having to change the plate. Or - a quick release system that would work as well.

This being my first monopod purchase I am a little weary about buying one. I would love some suggestions of what you currently use or have used in the past and enjoyed working with.

Thanks!
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sylus, while deciding to buy the Miller Compass 15 on the Solo carbon fibre sticks at the factory here .. I was given a demo showing how to use it as a monopod.

Leave the legs folded in and just lengthen one of them .. nothing to buy and you have your tripod ready for instant use. Try it.

Cheers.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Sylus,

This would be perfect for you:

I'm currently using the lighter-duty version:
EventDV.net: The Event Videographer's Resource
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use a Manfrotto 561B with a Canon ZR-1000 Lanc Controller which works well, but there is a down side with a Monopod and is what to do with it when you need to put it down between shots. See Manfrotto 561B HDV Video Monopod | Monopods | College Cameras

Paul W. H
Paul W. Hazeltine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Stylus,

I'm with Allan. I use a tripod and use it as a monopod by extending only one leg. It's fast and convenient. I don't have to worry about laying it somewhere to be stolen or stepped on.

Only downside is it might look a little weird, but the convenience is more than worth it.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions! Seems like the 561b is a solid choice and will pursue that option. Also many thanks for tips on using the tripod with one leg. That will be very useful when the time comes to use it.
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders