XHA1s not turn on! Need the tape inside!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #1
New Boot

XHA1s not turn on! Need the tape inside!!!!

I'm not a new owner of XHA1s. I own a personal one and recently we ordered one at work.

It arrived 3 days ago. I used it yesterday, filmed, imported. Stored it and now it won't turn on. I tried with battery and direct power cord, it won't turn on. it does just a clicking Sound.

The problem is... I will send it back to the seller, but I need to eject the tape in it!!! How can I do it manually?

Please let me know asap.
Gianfranco Gaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #2
New Boot

Ok.
I don't know how, but touching the cassette assembly a little it just ejected itself.
Still the camera isn't turning on. :(
I guess I got the 1 in X defective camera
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You already did check the "standby/lock" switch by your right thumb?
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #4
New Boot

the XHA1 does have the standby switch, the A1s doesn't have that switch anymore.

What it does is just a clicking noise. Now I have the cassette tray up and I cannot close the lid.
At least the job on the tape is safe out!

Thanx for replying!
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like a job for Canon factory service. Glad to hear that you've recovered the cassette.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #6
New Boot

My personal camera didn't act like that. This one is brand new with just 2 hours operation (1 field assignation)
Problem is, that my superiors wanted to opt for Panasonic and I worked hard to make them change opinion, and this little brand new incident is a total point loss!
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #7
New Boot

10.33 pm UPDATE

I was commenting to a coworker the problem and turn the switch on and the camera started to tick again.
I opened the cassette lid (since the tape carrier was raised) and it reset and went down.
I turn it back on and the camera started to switch on and shut down, intermittently, for about 2 seconds, I tried to grab my GL2 to film the crazy XH and it finally went on.

I've been playing for several minutes, it's like everything OK... I'm stumped I don't know what to think! Shall I send it back to the seller? it's perfectly working now... the seller won't be able to see the defect.
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Trustee

Sounds like the loading sequence, which is fairly complicated, got out of whack...always remember to shut the little inner door and let the tape load itself, then close the outer door....the tape drive mechanism is the Achilles' heel of all tape cameras (that I know of), they are fairly fragile.... / Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

My little Sony HC3 would not lower the tape housing once I took a tape out. It just wouldn't! Even after turning it on and off, trying with external power or in different modes. No response.... until I took the battery off and put it back on. All was well again....I think it cleared the memory.
Could be similar to your problem.
It hasn't happened with the Sony again, but I know how to deal with it, if it does.
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders