XH A1 "Line In" audio problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1
New Boot

XH A1 "Line In" audio problem

Long lurker first time poster. Thanks for all the info gathered here. My problem is with the "line IN" audio on the XH A1. I have been experimenting with some better quality audio options for the studio green screen and web tutorial on audio recording.

So I have tried to record using condensor mics through third party preamps (both my RME Fireface 800 and straight in and out of a Great River 500NV).

In both cases I am exiting the pres with high quality XLR cables and into the XLR line in on the XH A1.

The resulting captured audio has a low level "digital sounding" buzz or distortion. Of course the audio itself sounds very good but it is spoken word mostly and this "Noise" is apparent during pauses. It is hard to gate and also to eq due to the frequency.

Keep in mind this is the same setup I use to record music in my studio and the tracks are quiet and without noise so after much experimenting I have narrowed it down to the camera's inputs. I searched but no one seems to have this problem although not many are using other preamps.

Anyone have any info that might shed some light on my problem? Thanks for any help at all.
Scott
Scott Rolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Welcome to the fun factory Scott :)

Assuming you have balanced the gain structure throughput it could be an earthing problem.
If the cam is running from the MP-500NV and the A1 is battery powered try running it with A/C .. or vice versa.

Why don't you bypass the A1 and go into your NLE via the Fireface 800.

Cheers.
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply Allan.
I never thought of the ac power instead of battery! I need to check that.
I do record straight to Sonar for special pieces I will compress and eq with different fx and sync to video after. The project I'm mentioning I was hoping to sync in the camera just for ease of production and output.

Thanks for your time Allan.
Scott
Scott Rolston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders