Attaching DSLR lenses to a camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 1st, 2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Attaching DSLR lenses to a camcorder

Is this possible without 35mm adapter? I was wondering: are photo lenses for Canon DSLRs compatible with video lenses for Canon camcorders?
Lets say I have few lenses for Canon DSLRs... its possible to attach them to some type of a camcorder?
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Camcorder lenses are designed for camcorder sensors, which are considerably smaller than the image sensor in a D-SLR. So even if you could find a way to mount a camcorder lens to a D-SLR, it won't make an image circle big enough to fill the frame.

Meanwhile, you can use 35mm photo lenses on the XL and XL H series camcorders (not the XH series, which is the forum where you're posting right now), but they do require an adapter. See these threads from our XL2 and XL1S / XL1 boards for more information:

XL2: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl...-eos-lens.html

XL1: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl...-eos-lens.html

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for help.

I have one more question: its possible to achieve shallower depth of field with cameras that have these interchangeable lenses? I mean the similar shallow depth of field as I can achieve with DOF adapter? Is there some difference in that comparing to cameras which does not have interchangeable lenses?
Peter Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You only get the shallower depth of field with the Letus adapter etc. Adapter mounts that just allow you to physically attach the lenses to the camcorders don't change dof characteristics, ie a 50mm still lens will have the same dof as the camcorder's lens at 50mm.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, you can get shallow depth-of-field with a standard camcorder zoom lens:

The Ultimate Depth-of-Field Skinny at DVInfo.net

Comes with some trade-offs, though, such as working in the telephoto end of the zoom range.

But it's certainly possible.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
You only get the shallower depth of field with the Letus adapter etc. Adapter mounts that just allow you to physically attach the lenses to the camcorders don't change dof characteristics, ie a 50mm still lens will have the same dof as the camcorder's lens at 50mm.
Steve
I see. So the reason for this is the DOF adapter's focusing screen which is bigger than camcorder sensors? And what about those big movie HD cameras like CineAlta, Genesis etc? Do they need DOF adapter too (for getting shallower depth of field)?
(Just curious, I have no experience with cameras like this)
Peter Berger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders