DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   2nd Camera...Another XHA1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/476919-2nd-camera-another-xha1.html)

Patrick Janka April 15th, 2010 11:06 PM

2nd Camera...Another XHA1?

I currently have an XHA1. I do all kinds of projects with it, but I would like to get a 2nd cam for live event stuff like concerts, recitals, weddings, etc. I've noticed a lot of people use an XHA1 in conjunction with an HV20/30. If the HV 30 is comparable, then why even use an XHA1 to begin with? Should I get a 2nd XHA1, or is there something missing here that I don't know? Thanks!!

Patrick

Brian David Melnyk April 15th, 2010 11:26 PM

i bought an hv30 with a merlin to back up my XH-A1, and now the footage used in my projects is about 75% HV footage!
the image quality is great and i can get that little camera in places that the XH would be a hindrance. when run and gunning, the XH stays in the case and the HV/merlin stays in my hands. i now primarily use the XH for interviews and hv for everything else. personally, i highly recommend this combo!

Brian David Melnyk April 15th, 2010 11:28 PM

an example of the two:
YouTube - Goretti Nyabenda- I am Powerful

Kevin Pineda April 16th, 2010 08:44 AM

from the last weddings I have shot, I used 1 hv30 and 1 xha1s, I will never EVER use the hv30 ever again for a wedding. Cutting between the 2 was just terrible, mind blowing in the difference in quality. Dont get me wrong, the HV30 is a good camera, when there is enough light. Any dimness in light, the hv30 just goes to complete garbage and the footage between the 2 cams is to noticeable, mainly in with the garbage hv30 footage. I use the hv30 for my b-roll behind the scenes and use mainly 2 xha1's.

Roger Van Duyn April 17th, 2010 07:13 AM

I have one XH-A1 and two HV-30s. I wish those figures were reversed. With a little work in post, the HVs will match the A1 pretty well, as long as light is adequate. But I can see a noticeable difference in quality of the image no matter what the lighting conditions are.

If I were you and had the money to get another A1, especially a used one in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate. There are some good deals in the forum classifieds right now!

Allan Black April 20th, 2010 06:32 PM

I have an A1 and a HV20 (great for capture) and both in use .. I'd get an A1s.

Cheers.

Michael Galvan April 20th, 2010 07:12 PM

Yes, I have a Canon XL H1S and a Canon HV40.

The HV40 is a very nice cam for what it is, but image quality just doesn't compare. Anything beyond good lighting, and the HV image crumbles compared to the XL/XH cams.

Plus, there are so many ways to adjust/modify the image parameters of the XL/XH cams that the HV series doesn't have.

Jonathan Shaw April 20th, 2010 08:00 PM

I was in the same position and ended up getting another A1, HV goes to pieces in low light. Also batteries, WA adapters etc etc all are interchangeable. You can set up the picture profiles the same, it will look seamless. I got one second hand and it was very reasonable, now the XF's are out I reckon it will be even cheaper.

Taky Cheung April 20th, 2010 11:10 PM

HV30 or HV40 is very capable as a second cam. You just have to learn to use the "light trick" that lock down exposure when shooting indoor. Otherwise, you will get all grainy video that are un-usable.

Matching footage between them is challenging too. I am able to manage it using Matrox Color Correction feature

Color matching XH-A1 and HV30 | L.A. Color Blog
Settings to match XH-A1 and HV30 Footage | L.A. Color Blog

Now I'm using XH-A1s as main cam, XH-A1 as second cam. Then a HV30 on merlin.