DV Capture Card for use wth XH-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 18th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #1
New Boot

DV Capture Card for use wth XH-A1

I have begun capturing Video with a Canon XH-A1. Now, I would like to transfer the footage to a PC for editing. (No,I don’t have an Apple). I bought an HP desktop and found out that it doesn’t have firewire support. I’m trying to locate a PCIe card and the only one that I can find is the “Firewire 2-PORT Pcie Card Dv” by SIIG.
Does anyone have experience with this card?
Does anyone have other suggestions?
John Rappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You can try this one:
API-316

You have to ckeck that it is OHCI-Compliant.
Texas instruments chips are good.
VIA also are good.

And you can check if your motherboard has standard PCI. There are a lot of cheap PCI cards.
Conceptronic.net

And, this web site has a lot of stuff
http://www.pyroav.com/

Last edited by Mikel Arturo; April 18th, 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: adding info
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It seems a little expensive, maybe because it has some editing software bundled with it. Firewire cards are pretty much a commodity item these days, so I'd go for something cheaper, like this:
Newegg.com - Open Box: SYBA PCI-Express 1394a FireWire 4 ports Controller Card Model SD-PEX-NEC4F

I don't know what OS you are using, but check to make sure it is compatible.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #4
New Boot

No PCI Slot

Mikel, No PCI slot, I bought the desktop based on the 8GB of Ram and can be expanded to 16GB, never thought that it didn't have Firewire support. I think its the only HP desktop without (Model HP Pavilion 6240f). Thanks.

Bill. Windows 7 64Bit. Thanks for the link. On a related topic, I read somewhere that not all firewire cards are created equal and that some support DV better than others (onboard memory or something). I can't find that post, but I appreciate the alternative.
John Rappa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders