Favorite) both Vibrant & "Warm" preset poll at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Favorite) both Vibrant & "Warm" preset poll

With so many presets out there to choose from and considering I only obtained occasional access to an A1 fairly recently (a month + ago), I want to optimize the available time it's in my hands and get the best color possible that's both vibrant, inviting, warm & pleasing to the eyes. Thus far I haven't found it.

In you valued opinion and experience, what preset should I be utilizing that matches the criteria above and/or what would or do you actually use the most & why? The name of the preset and where it could be found (if not on DVinfo.net) would be truly appreciated. What are your top 2 or 3 picks?

Thanks in advance!
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

In my opinion you should use NO preset and do all your CC in post, you'll have way more options. If you settle with a preset and then dont like it your screwed.

Theres not a preset out there that I can't reproduce in post. That's just me though..
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Steven Dempsey's "Vivid RGB".

Search around here, it'll come up.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Depends on what and how you're shooting and how much time you want to spend in post. For doco style 3 or 4 good custom presets that you know are much better than CC in post.

Stopping to add or correct colour can overturn the creative cart spilling it the show and you all over the place. If I spend a while editing a sequence and at the start of each day .. I like to play from the head of the show to refresh my memory as to the pace and feel of it.

So I like to work fast in post and I have Panalook, VividRGB, Panavision, PFvision (for low light) and Panalook2. Those names written on the back of the enclosed battery and I'll shoot Panalook for darker scenes and VividRGB for lighter scenes with say 3 different grays and blacks. For skin tones outdoors I'll use Panalook2.

I use the standard Expodisc for white balancing mixed lighting and the warm version for interviews. But it's a matter of preference and how you like to work. hth.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders