DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Frame Rates and Shutter Speeds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/477558-frame-rates-shutter-speeds.html)

Patrick Janka April 25th, 2010 07:46 AM

Frame Rates and Shutter Speeds

Okay, from what I've read 60i is the frame rate to use for smooth motion in past pans and whatnot. On my flip out lcd it looks totally smooth and very "video-like". However, when transferred to my pc I can see all the interlacing with sharp horizontal lines. Is this because I'm watching on a computer screen instead of a TV? Is there a certain shutter speed I should use in combination with 60i? When matching shutter with frame rate, do they need to be multiples of each other? (i.e. 60i and 1/120). Also, is 60i considered 60fps or 30fps?

What is the best frame rate and shutter speed combination to get the smoothest whips/pans/zooms? Yesterday I did some shots with 30p and 1/150 on the shutter filming some bands, and it looked super cool with the strobing effect, but what if I don't want a strobing effect, just to eliminate blur. Also, is viewing on a PC monitor skewing my recorded results? It seems with how most video goes directly to the web, it won't ever be viewed on a TV anyway.

Sylus Harrington April 25th, 2010 12:05 PM

60i should be used with shutter speeds in multiples of 60 - so 30, 60, 120. You are seeing the interlaced frames on your computer because computer screens are progressive. Download a player like VLC which has a built in De-Interlace feature, and you will see how this will look like on a TV which has built in de-i. However if you are going to post anything on the web you MUST de-interlace footage.

60i is not 60p or 30p. 60i means 30 frames every 1/2 second and they are "interlaced" together to form 60 frames. 60p means 60 progressive frames per second, and 30p means 30 progressive frames per second, same with 24p.

60i at 1/60 should be great for all fast pans and fast motion. I shoot all concert in 60i then de-interlace the footage for the web. Here is basic reference to frame rates and shutter:

24p - 1/25 or 1/50 shutter
30p - 1/30 or 1/60 shutter
60i/60p - 1/30 or 1/60 shutter

Hope this helps.

Robbie Mitchell May 18th, 2010 10:39 AM

What would be the recommendation for shutter speeds if you're shooting an event like motocross?

Jonathan Shaw May 18th, 2010 03:51 PM

If you are looking to slow it down slightly I would shoot a slightly higher shutter speed so in NTSC 1/120 PAL 1/100 or 1/150 however it will look slightly "stuttery" when played at normal speed.
If you have a cam where you can increase the frame rate (I presume not as you probably have an A1) do that to say 720@60p (NTSC) or 720@50p(PAL)

Alex DeJesus May 19th, 2010 01:40 PM

Shooting Motocross

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie Mitchell (Post 1528294)
What would be the recommendation for shutter speeds if you're shooting an event like motocross?

I too am about to shoot some motocross racing. I was assuming a fast shutter would be best (like 60i 1/120 or 1/180) but why would that cause the video to stutter as Jonathin says? How would you avoid that?

I already tried 1/60 shutter and got poor results on pans and fast motion. I would like to get good slo-mo. Are there any other good tips out there?

When is de-interlacing done - on tape capture? or after editing? I don't understand.

Also, would a polarizer filter hurt on a really bright day?

G. Randy Brown May 29th, 2010 10:22 AM

<i> When is de-interlacing done - on tape capture? or after editing? I don't understand.</i>

in post after the edit

<i> Also, would a polarizer filter hurt on a really bright day? </i>

actually that's what a it's is made for...bright situations....to cut down on glare and enhance color

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------