Importing Footage Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Tourist

Importing Footage Question

I'm trying to figure out a problem I've been having and also trying to put together a solid workflow for myself for the highest quality output. I'm currently working on a commercial that will be mainly for web delivery but DVD will come a little down the road. I've edited my project and exported it using the following settings:

Using Quicktime conversion: Compression: H.264 Bitrate: 5000 kbits :Dimensions: 1920x1080.

When I review the exported copy I'm noticing some noise and pixels.

The footage was imported onto the system from the camera to FCP using the HDV capture preset then I use a sequence preset of Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

So my questions: Is the process listed above the best way to go for absolute best output?

Another question: How should I be importing from tape if I plan to output to DVD or Bluray? Using the HDV preset or anything else?
Robbie Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Using Quicktime conversion: Compression: H.264 Bitrate: 5000 kbits :Dimensions: 1920x1080?

Man, 1920x1080 needs more than 10.000 kbits. At 12k-15k you can get good quality.
Remember that AVCHD works at 24k, and more or less the same to Blu-ray.

For DVD you can get good quality at 6.500 VBR with 192 AC3 (audio). More or less 1 hour and 20 minutes on single layer DVD.
Best quality at 9.000 (CBR or VBR) but not all the players can get this speed (stops, hangs).
More safe is 8.000 or less.
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders