Playback + VCR mode does not work anymore?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Playback + VCR mode does not work anymore??

so i got up early to capture some footage today with my canon xha1 and i cant get the tape to playback!!!! the time code on the tape is now gone too. the only thing on the display of the cam is the full minute marker. that i still there. i can film still. but i cannont review. anyone seen this problem before??? what does this mean? is there something wrong with my heads???!

thanks in advance

josh
Josh Glowicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Same problem here Josh, I just send it back to Canon yesterday. Check this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...lays-back.html

Best regards,

Robert Wide
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

And got it back 4 weeks later. The Canon repair centre replaced the heads and the whole tape mechanism. Costs: nearly € 400,- but after one telephone call with Canon the company was so kind as to pay half of the costs because this problems shouldn't happen in this kind of camera even not after 2,5 yrs. When I tried the camera (with the same tapes as I tried it before I sent the camera to Canon repair: Sony HDV) exactly the same issue happened: lost time code and footage...Then I decided to change the tapes to Sony Premium DV (since the heads were changed this was the opportunity to change the tapes too) and since then everything works well. I filmed for over two hours at different times and no problems. As expected: exactly the same quality (since the HDV signal is exactly the same on DV and HDV tape) and no dropouts. So maybe it was a tape issue after all although the repair service did not mention this.

Well, after missing the camera for a month I'm very happy too have it back and to find Canon so consumer friendly as to pay half of the repair costs. And I will use the 10 bucks per tape cheaper Sony Premium DV tapes which will save a lot of money in the future.

Robert Wide

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders