What does Video 2 SDI jack do on XH-A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #1
New Boot

What does Video 2 SDI jack do on XH-A1?

Page 99 in the manual shows this as jack as BNC Video. Has anyone used the Video 2 SDI jack on the back, right side of the Canon XH-A1?

Is there anyway to Hi-Jack that output for HD video only feed? I need a way to output native files using SDI. Will that output be SD Widescreen?

Thanks,
Blake
Blake Avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Blake...................

Well, on a Canon XH A1, it does nothing, as the A1 doesn't have it (SDI, that is).

On the XH G1 it O/P's whatever you tell it to, within limits, which are defined in the "Connecting to a Monitor/ TV" section somewhere, as you're manual is probably NTSC and mine is PAL and they are thus not in the same place.

However, a quick scrute of my manual appears to say that if you've shot HD @ 1920 X 1080, in order for that port to O/P SD it must be shot with Letterbox set to "ON".

Just to confuse things, later info appears to contradict that and "seems" to say you can lock the SDI to SD in whatever mode.

Nope, I ain't got it (have an A1) so can't test it.

Sorry if that ain't much help.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Major Player

On my XH-A1, that side-mounted BNC port is limited to composite video output just like the RCA connector on the back Video 1. The one time I used that port was in doing a live video feed at a church where the monitor in the overflow room had BNC connections rather than RCA. The result was basically like a non-digital "HD" signal that the local cable-tv company feeds. Definitely not the HD picture you seem to want.

Chris is right. A basic distinction between the XH models is that G1 can output SDI but the A1 does not. (It was basically designed with the idea that you'd feed your HDV tape to the computer and, if and when you needed an SDI feed, you get if from the computer.)
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Avant View Post
Page 99 in the manual shows this as jack as BNC Video. Has anyone used the Video 2 SDI jack on the back, right side of the Canon XH-A1?
That's not an SDI jack. As the manual states, it is in fact a BNC jack (same connector as SDI but totally different type of output). The Video 2 BNC jack provides a convenient way to connect the camera to a professional standard definition video monitor, most of which are equipped with BNC inputs).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Major Player

I just remembered that the manual covers both the XH-A1 and XH-G1, and the sections that apply only to the XH-G1 are marked with a little bolded "XH-G1" bug next to the header. The manual page that refers to the port as SDI is actually on page 97 and it is marked with the little "XH-G1" bug. The info on page 99 only refers to the component and composite outs to non-HDTV screens.
Jay West is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders