Is this a bad camera pixel..? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Is this a bad camera pixel..?

Recently shot footage for a timelapse video in beautiful Moab Utah with my Canon XH A1S...there is a small speck that is consistent but becomes less prominent with more sunlight..I don't know how to highlight it in this snapshot..but it is easy to see. It was very cold that day if that matters. Can it be repaired?....click on image to blow it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a bad camera pixel..?-moab.jpg  
Joe Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Joe,

I see a white dot right in the middle of the picture. If that's what you're referring to then yes it's noticable.

Keep in mind that any dead pixel is bad and you don't wnat them!!
I am sure that your XHA1s is still under warranty so have it repalced or repaired ASAP.

Matthew
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't think it's a hot pixel, because I believe a hot pixel would not show up as white on a 3 chip camera, since white is achieved by mixing colors from each sensor - unless I don't understand how this works - which is entirely possible...

It looks like the spot is 1 pixel wide, it is at least 2 pixels high, and has a halo around it. Since HDV stretches the image from 1440 to 1920 pixels, I think it would be wider and shorter if it was a hot pixel. My guess is that this is something on your lens, or possibly inside your lens.

If you want to test for a hot pixel though, see if it shows up with the iris closed. If it does not show up with the iris closed, then it's almost certainly a foreign object. As for sunlight reducing it's visibility, that could be due to the iris stopping down...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #4
New Boot

Thank you both for the constructive responces...I believe it is something on the lens because it wasn't a problem before or after the shot...maybe a snow crystal..there were some flurries. Now I need to figure out how to "fix" the spot..any software suggestions? I use Vegas Pro but I don't think there is a tool for this in Vegas.
Thanks again,

Joe Cronin
Joe Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #5
Inner Circle

In Vegas, you can use the Cookie Cutter filter, to punch a hole in the shot feather the edges, and the run something on the lower track to match the terrain. You could even take the same footage run it on the second track, but move it over or up and down one or two pixels.
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You can clone in out using after effects. Similar to photoshop cloning except depending on the clips movement you will have to animate the mask or clone whatever way you use.
Howard Churgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cronin View Post
Thank you both for the constructive responces...I believe it is something on the lens because it wasn't a problem before or after the shot...maybe a snow crystal..there were some flurries. Now I need to figure out how to "fix" the spot..any software suggestions? I use Vegas Pro but I don't think there is a tool for this in Vegas.
Thanks again,

Joe Cronin
When you turn the camera off for a few seconds, it will automatic mask it, but it will always be there, here is a test you can do, cover the lens with the lens cap and shoot at slow shutter speed at 15th/second and gain at 12db for a few minutes and see if it will show back up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders