DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   TM700K as a 2nd camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/479602-tm700k-2nd-camera.html)

G. Randy Brown May 29th, 2010 08:10 AM

TM700K as a 2nd camera?

Hi all,

I'm finally selling my two XL1S' and making the hi-def transition.
Due to very limited funds I'm going with a slightly used XH-A1 from a colleague and something else cheap.
I've read good reviews on Panasonic's consumer model TM700K.
Any thoughts on what trouble I may run into (matching in post etc).
Sorry I don't remember how to make a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674275-REG/Panasonic_HDC_TM700K_HDC_TM700K_High_Definition_Camcorder.html
Thanks very much,
Randy
EDIT: or would an HV40 be better?

John Rappa May 30th, 2010 06:18 AM

Hv40

I'm going down the same path, as you and based on an earlier POST -> http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...cam-go-a1.html it appears the HV40 is the better choice. I just checked, BHPhoto has it for under $700.

G. Randy Brown May 30th, 2010 07:37 AM

Gee I don't know John, the Matrox card they both used cost more than the HV40.
I ran across a comparison of HV40 to the last years' TM300 and had decided on the TM700... but now I'm not sure...I really need to be able to match the 2 cams in post

comparison:
Canon Vixia HV40 Camcorder Review - Canon MiniDV Camcorders

Thanks very much John,
Randy

John Rappa June 23rd, 2010 02:20 PM

TM300 - Read Review

Randy, Just read the review and I see your point, the TM300 does sound good. Did you decide? I think you could probably match either of the 2 in POST (edit), but it may be more effort than you want. Good Luck!

G. Randy Brown June 23rd, 2010 03:03 PM

Yessir, and keep in mind the review is on the 300 and the 700 is supposedly even better....it's down to $757 with free shipping at B & H now. I'll be ordering one this Mon or Tues (finally sold one of my XL1S').
I'm thinking if I can get them (relatively) matched in post I can save as a template (outdoors, indoors with softboxes, etc) and it won't be quite so time consuming from then on.

Michael Galvan June 23rd, 2010 05:02 PM

I think you should strongly consider with HV40. You'll then be working with the same format, plus the HV40 could be used as a deck as well, allowing you to capture all of the framerates the XH A1 shoots.

Otherwise, you'd have to tie up your camera every time you have to capture.

Hope this helps.

G. Randy Brown June 23rd, 2010 05:26 PM

Good point John, but I plan on buying some kind of solid state recorder...any suggestions?

EDIT: oops, I meant Michael not John

John Rappa June 23rd, 2010 07:05 PM

Point Goes To Michael

And I like the idea of using the HV40 as a deck... Thanks Michael.

G. Randy Brown June 24th, 2010 06:14 AM

Well I have until like Tuesday or Wed so I'd like to keep this open.
So the reason you guys would like to use the HV40 as a deck is to capture tapes to save wear and tear on the XH-A1 right? Any other reasons (ie external monitoring etc)? If so please explain how you would hook it up ...firewire in HDMI out?
Thanks for your advice guys,
Randy

Coral Cook June 24th, 2010 04:14 PM

I just the specs for the TM700K, and while it does impressive with its 1080p 60fps, that is the only mode that it lists. Does that mean that it doesn't do 24p? If you went with the HV40, you'd also have two cameras that both film at native 24 fps. Something to consider. Another point is if you really like Canon, have you considered the Canon HF S20 (going for about $950 at B&H)?

G. Randy Brown June 24th, 2010 06:54 PM

"I just the specs for the TM700K, and while it does impressive with its 1080p 60fps, that is the only mode that it lists. Does that mean that it doesn't do 24p? If you went with the HV40, you'd also have two cameras that both film at native 24 fps. Something to consider."

Actually looks like it does : Camcorder HD Recording Modes: 1080p @ 60fps, 1080p @ 24fps

Kees van Duijvenbode June 25th, 2010 12:44 AM

If you go for the TM700 you not only have to match color- and CCD/CMOS differences but also have to mix HDV and AVCHD. Does your NLE support that? I myself use a XHA1 and a HV30 together, using the HV30 as B-cam and capturing device and the minor differences in the footage can be easily CC'ed in post (using Sony Vegas).

G. Randy Brown June 25th, 2010 06:36 AM

I use Sony Vegas (8) also...and thought it could handle pretty much anything you throw on the timeline...no?
I do like that word "easy" you used....especially when sometimes it wasn't that easy to match up 2 Canon XL1S' at times (depending on the camera angles, available light etc).
I do plan on upgrading both cameras in a year anyway maybe I should take your advice.

G. Randy Brown June 25th, 2010 06:53 AM

Another question: can I take a custom setting from the XH-A1 and transfer it to the HV40 via a card and the HV40 recognize it?
Thanks very much guys,
Randy