DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   xh a1 is not recognised by my Vista via firewire (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/480289-xh-a1-not-recognised-my-vista-via-firewire.html)

Peter Anastasopoulos June 12th, 2010 09:33 AM

xh a1 is not recognised by my Vista via firewire

HI guys, after playing with this wonderful new machine on our holiday in Tasmania it was time to edit, so through the 4 pin firewire I connected the cam to the laptop, to my dismay no recognition. I'm running Vista Home Premium and as far as I can see I have done everything right. Anyone else having similar problems or heard of it?

Michael Hutson June 12th, 2010 12:00 PM

What program are you trying to use to capture the video? If you don't have one, Go to the sony vegas sight and get a 30 trial version.

Bill Watson June 12th, 2010 02:28 PM

My routine:
With camera in 'Off' mode, plug in Firewire cable to camera and computer. It's ok if computer is on.
Then, switch camera to VCR/Play mode and bring up Vegas. Go to file, capture.
Software tells me it can't find device. Switch camera off and then on again.
Software then 'finds' device and I'm good to go.
I'm using XP, by the way.

Allan Black June 12th, 2010 07:08 PM

Seconding Michael .. Vegas is great but Peter you might need a more powerful laptop and you will need an external drive for video editing. Check the Vegas board for computer specs here.
Cheers.

Philip Younger June 13th, 2010 01:43 PM

There s a known problem with Vista and some Firewire cards. Some were installed in Vista PC's & Laptops without testing they were compatible with Vista - It has been mentioned before if not in this forum, then certainly in the various NLE forums. If it is a desktop PC you have it may just be a matter of buying a new up-to-date Firewire i/o card if it is a laptop, I think you are stuck

Peter Anastasopoulos June 15th, 2010 08:59 PM

Hello Michael, Bill, Allan and Philip.

Hello Michael, I use Pinnacle for now, My last camera didn't have fire wire so I dumped tape onto my dvd recorder onto a disk them got it into the laptop that way, then I found out about 'boxes' to convert from video out to usb in, that worked great for domestic use and until I learned pinnacle and refreshed my editing skills, at this stage I wasn't fussed about the generation loss at all. I'll have to look at Sony Vegas for sure. Bill hi, I have tried all the various combinations as you described and then some, I just can't get it to work, next I need a tech to confirm whether my fire wire works or not, at this stage I'd have to say no because the camera's fire wire works just fine, I used it to go component 'in' to my dvd recorder to download this last footage onto disk, this way I can load it into the laptop for now. Allan hi, as for speed. Its a 2gz machine and even Pinnacle wants 2.5 ghz as a minimum though it works just fine apart from the occasional hang. I'm shopping right now for a desk top which I want 3.25 to 3.5 ghz at least with 8 to 10 ram etc etc. I'd say that's a must even at my level, (((is going 64 system the better way to go? ))). As for the external drive, Pinnacle educated me on that, I have a 1tb external hard rive running fsn not 32, I noticed the difference immediately, so Pinnacle got that right, Ty for your response. Philip Hi, your response is the only one I cannot answer just yet, at my first opportunity I will get my laptop tested and confirmed. As for the specs of it, I had already decided it's too slow,and I already maxed out the Ram, so desk top it will be. I'm just trying to work out the extras I will need to have for this purpose built machine, thank you for your help.
So, what about the system, 32 as compared to 64, the way I understand it is that 64 is more conducive to speed, is that correct?
Thanks so much again guys, your help is appreciated.

Battle Vaughan June 15th, 2010 10:58 PM

Copy and paste from my reply in another thread:

Found this info in a recent dv info post from Chris Davis, maybe it will help:

"Since Windows 7 will be available in stores this week, I'm sure others will have this problem, so I thought I'd post the solution that worked for me and many others.

The problem is that Windows 7 apparently installs the wrong driver upon detecting a firewire port. Step-by-step, here is the solution:

1. Go to Device Manager and click on IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
2. Click on the device listed underneath this heading. In my case it was Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
3. Right click this device and select 'update driver software' from the shortcut menu
4. Then select the option 'browse my computer for driver software'
5. Then select the option 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
6. This then gave me three drivers to pick from (make sure the 'show compatible hardware' checkbox is ticked)
7. Select the driver named '1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)'
8. Install driver

No reboot is necessary, capturing via firewire should now work. "