DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Filters for new owners. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/481480-filters-new-owners.html)

Allan Black July 6th, 2010 04:44 PM

Filters for new owners.

Here's my take on filters for new owners with the A1 and A1s.

First the UV. Way back in the archives there's discussions about putting inferior or any glass in front of the lens you just paid big $ for. Yes that's true but the fact you should protect that lens from any damage far outweighs any other argument and the UV is the obvious one. A close call with damage on your A1 lens will convince anyone to do it pronto. Only take it off when you put another filter on.

Next an ND filter. The southern sun and the light are brighter than the northern hemisphere. I've found the ND on the A1/s at times is not strong enough so I keep a B+W 502 ND handy.

A Graduated ND filter. Invaluable outdoors, it lowers the sky by 2 stops so you get more detail on the ground. It's hard to see the graduated section when it's on the camera so align it horizontally on the A1 lens before you put the lens hood on.

Tobacco Grad. Many years ago when I first heard the name I thought they were referring to a college kid who had moved on to the hard stuff. ;0
But no, it's similar to a grad ND with the top half a tobacco colour. It's for in camera fx but not necessary.

The A1 white balance does a good job but I use an Expodisc for mixed lighting. Indoors with bright sunlight streaming in the windows on 2 tone beige walls can confuse the cams white balance but an Expodisc handles it fast and accurate. I read somewhere that you should buy a large size to cover all your cam lens but for the A1 and S model you need the 72mm version .. otherwise you have to take off the lens hood each time you use it. It can double as a short term lens cap and there are 2 types, I use the standard one.

Which brand of filter? Well any of the name brands, B+W Tiffen Hoya etc. Get the multicoated types to avoid reflections and never buy a no name set off Ebay. Some people like Polarisers and early on I bought some but don't use them now. They're Ok for static shots but you lose the polarized effect when you pan the camera. Canon offer a filter set for the A1/s .. FS72U.

When you install a filter, to avoid cross threading, carefully make one turn anticlockwise till you feel a tiny click. Both threads are aligned then you turn clockwise to tighten it .. but never too tight.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Chris Soucy July 6th, 2010 05:12 PM

Just one small thing...............

Don't forget to keep a couple of correctly sized rubber bands in your case to get those suckers back off again!

CS

G. Randy Brown July 7th, 2010 08:21 AM

Very informative, thank you!

Panagiotis Raris July 8th, 2010 02:13 PM

i know this sounds probably a little odd but i usually 'paint' a tiny amount of vaseline on the threads; ive never had a filter or step ring jam since.

Kevin Currie July 9th, 2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1545870)
Don't forget to keep a couple of correctly sized rubber bands in your case to get those suckers back off again!

CS

That's a great idea! No matter how loosely I think I put a filter on, it always seems like I have to get a bodybuilder to take it off again. lol