DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Clothing Release Promo - Need Feedback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/483112-clothing-release-promo-need-feedback.html)

Dara Logan August 9th, 2010 01:28 PM

Clothing Release Promo - Need Feedback

Hello everyone. I recently shot/edited a promotional video for a friends clothing company to promote their fall release. It was shot on an A1 and I used Magic Bullet looks for grading. Take a look at it an tell me what you think of it.

This was my first time really doing color grading. I usually just color correct things that are off using the 3 way color corrector in FCP. We shot this video with all the lights on in the dorm room because I wanted the best quality image to work with and not have to worry about low lighting. I tried to make it look like it was sorta dark like early in the morning just as the sun is coming up.

YouTube - ‪ArtOfficial Intelligence || 2010 Fall Clothing Release Promo‬‎

What could I have done differently to make it better? Thanks in advance for any comments or feedback you may have.

Paul Hatcher August 9th, 2010 04:15 PM

Hi,
I really liked it, pretty obscure about what you are promoting, but I think people prefer this style of marketing to obvious in your face selling.
Nice shots and setups!

Dara Logan August 9th, 2010 06:43 PM

Thanks Paul. Yes that was kinda the idea. Many of the t-shirts that are laying around on the floor are the t-shirts they are promoting.

Thanks for the feedback! Anything you see that I can do better for next time? One thing I was thinking was that the highlights in some shots need to be brought down. Especially the first shot with the girl getting out of the bed. It looks kinda weird to me and I can't put my finger on what it is and how to fix it.

Henry Williams August 9th, 2010 06:53 PM

It looks maybe slightly more desaturated and high contrastey than the other shots. Really nice, almost into bleach bypass territory. I rather like it and would be tempted to ramp up the other shots to match!

The only thing I noticed that I'd have maybe done differently was that the edges of the vignettes could have done with a little more feathering- they were a bit obvious against the lighter backgrounds, but I think that's probably just a matter of taste. Good job!

Jay Cash August 12th, 2010 09:07 PM

Son of A Gun That Was Good!

I just bought my Canon Xh A1- I need some advice on getting better video!

All i can get is video to come out looking like this!

YouTube - JRC 522 ACRE Auction- WPSDtv 30 Second

YouTube - Stallons Estate Auction

YouTube - Borders Estate - Grand Rivers

I think what you did looks awesome!

Nate Haustein August 13th, 2010 12:43 AM

Nice job. Solid shots, good story telling I can relate to! Especially liked it when the song came in - perfect titling as well.

Only thing I might suggest is cutting it down just a little bit. Seemed a little drawn out and I was waiting for the next thing to happen. Perhaps all contained in 60 seconds rather than 73?

Your friend is very lucky that they know a talented producer such as yourself!

Dara Logan August 18th, 2010 02:21 PM

Thanks alot Nate. I'm glad you like it. its creating quite the buzz in his circle. I'll look to cut the next one down and make sure we're more concise with getting our message out.

Henry: Yeah looking back at it, the vignetting is a bit obvious. Thanks for the input.

Jay: I think the images that you're getting are good, its just a matter of getting more interesting shots. Try to think outside the box a bit. Like I said quality-wise I think it looks good. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'll do what I can to answer them although I'm far from a guru myself.