DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What is your favorite "cant' live without it" accessory? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/483611-what-your-favorite-cant-live-without-accessory.html)

Josh Keffer August 20th, 2010 01:19 PM

What is your favorite "cant' live without it" accessory?

Hey all!

So I finally sold my trusty ol' XL2 and got a shiny new XHA1s! So far I'm loving it, and I think it's going to suit my needs quite well.

So here's my question. What is the one thing you've added to your XH camera that you absolutely can't live without? A monitor? Matte box? Follow focus? I'd love to hear what everyone is using and why you just can't imagine going to a shoot without it.

Thanks!

Josh

Bill Watson August 20th, 2010 03:25 PM

Sony eye cup:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...-eyecup-6.html

David W. Jones August 20th, 2010 03:47 PM

A professional level tripod/fluid head.

Kevin Lewis August 20th, 2010 04:02 PM

A Rode Mic with a wind shield

Allan Black August 20th, 2010 06:48 PM

Rode NTG-3 shotgun with a Rode Blimp.
Cheers.

David Seguin August 20th, 2010 06:59 PM

I haven't added that much to it, but I must say on critical shoots I NEED my external monitor. I just find it so hard to use the built in one, especially for focus, and not only is the viewfinder not comfortable, it hurts my back to use on lower shots.

Haven't really tried it out yet, but I think I'm gonna love my new setup. 7" LCD on Manfrotto Magic Arm, clamped onto my tripod.

Chris Soucy August 20th, 2010 07:19 PM

Big Senny ME67 shotgun for channel 1.

Senny EW100 G2 reciever for channel 2.

Nikon 1200 Laser range finder, so I don't have to trust my eyes (or anything else) for focus. Sits in a holster on my belt. Magic.

CS

Henry Williams August 22nd, 2010 02:08 PM

a fig rig and a decent shotgun mic. Absolutely adore the fig rig- it's brilliant for run and gun work.

Panagiotis Raris August 24th, 2010 10:22 AM

overall i would have to say the bit that saves me the most aggravation and really sped up workflow; a simple DN-60 CF card recorder. LOVE my follow focus and Letus, but that little CF writer NEVER comes off the hotshoe.

Greg Clark August 25th, 2010 08:40 AM

DN-60 and AVI files

I just read a review that said the HD (HDV) captures into an M2T file format. Does this mean that the DN-60 won't caputure AVI file format in HD mode?

Panagiotis Raris August 25th, 2010 09:53 AM

correct, all HD capture is M2T only. I transcode or just edit M2T in premiere pro cs5, handles it just fine. for some of our guys i do need to transcode to mov or quicktime for the web content for them to edit, but there is a free transcoder which is pretty fast available for the dn-60.

i HATED the tiny delays shooting tape, switching tapes, recovering from tape, and still hate mastering to tape. plus we have about 10 CF cards for the dslr's that work in the dn-60, and all 8 or 16 gb.

Dominik Brandys September 22nd, 2010 10:23 AM

i would say its a wide angle lens :)
btw bump i want more poeple to post.
im learning about some good accessorys :P

Don Palomaki September 25th, 2010 09:09 AM

#1 is a wireless mic (for wedding have used several over time, currently an AT system))

#2 is a wide angle adapter (using the Century 0.6x)

#3 is the zoom remote controller (still using the ZR-1000 I bought for use with my XL1)

#4 is a shotgun mic (for general use where appropriate). Using a Rode NTG-2, a couple turns of gaffers tape and it fits the mic holder on my XH-A1

However, the priority order will depend on what you need most for what you do with the camcorder.

Richard D. George September 26th, 2010 08:16 AM

I am juggling things between HDSLR's (I have a pair of 7D's and my son has a T2i) and HDV (I have an XH-A1s and a HV40).

In Real Estate, the three most important things are:

1) Location
2) Location and finally...
3) Location.

For video, a case could be made that the three most important accessories are:

1) Tripod with a true fluid head
2) Tripod with a true fluid head, and finally...
3) Tripod with a true fluid head

so..... I would have to say it is my pair of Sachtler FSB tripods.

Cynthia Granville October 4th, 2010 02:58 PM

My Rode NTG-3. great sound used as a boom, or on-camera mic for events.