DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What setting do you use for your XHA1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/483903-what-setting-do-you-use-your-xha1.html)

Kevin Lewis August 26th, 2010 05:19 PM

What setting do you use for your XHA1?

I have had my XHA1 for over a year now and have shot exclusivly in 60I. I am curious to know what most of you film at 60I, 30P or 24P?

Peter Manojlovic August 26th, 2010 08:43 PM

I've switched over to 30P....

It downconverts better, allows for more light (because of 1/30th shutter speed), and is better for web...
Only downside is the smoothness of the video...

If you're panning quickly, or viewing sporting events, 60i is the way to go...
Otherwise, 30P has been a blessing....

Good luck!!!!

Taky Cheung August 27th, 2010 12:27 AM

Have you tried all the color preset download in dvinfo.net? I love using VividRGB outdoor.

I also turn off AGC and set the L-M-H level to -3, 0, 3db. Never trust AGC.

30F... only shot 30F. 60i is too videoish.. I only shoot 60i during photo session as I know I will slow it down i post.

Roger Van Duyn August 27th, 2010 08:47 AM

I normally shoot 30F in HDV, but have a major client that requires SD footage at 60i. They have a proprietary system for ingesting a lot of tapes, so I give the client what they ask for. It's the only client I have that I don't have to do the post production too.

They are gradually switching over to HD, but not yet.

But all my other clients I shoot HDV 30F.

Christopher Neville September 2nd, 2010 09:48 AM

I shoot 30F using the BBC preset, then tweak in post.

G. Randy Brown September 6th, 2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1563294)
Have you tried all the color preset download in dvinfo.net? I love using VividRGB outdoor.

I also turn off AGC and set the L-M-H level to -3, 0, 3db. Never trust AGC.

30F... only shot 30F. 60i is too videoish.. I only shoot 60i during photo session as I know I will slow it down i post.

I hate using AGC but if you never use it how do you deal with fast changing light (ie stage lights, fast moving clouds outdoors etc)
Thanks,
Randy

Taky Cheung September 7th, 2010 10:40 PM

You just have to set manual exposure to deal with the changes. Have AGC at -3db or 0DB. Then learn to quickly hit the round exposure lock button and turn the aperture ring. Not a problem for me.

G. Randy Brown September 8th, 2010 07:30 AM

I'm guessing you mean you have the <b>gain switch</b> set to -3 or 0db not AGC...so you just ride the aperature ring at all times...pheeew, I'd have to charge extra for that much work (just kidding : )
Thanks Taky,
Randy

Taky Cheung September 8th, 2010 08:47 AM

You can start by shooting in A mode. Turn off AGC. Set the gain switch to 0db. Then it should take care of all the fast changing lighting condition in the field. When it comes to backlighting, you can use the Exposure Lock button and adjust the Iris ring.

It isn't very difficult. You can do it Randy =)

G. Randy Brown September 8th, 2010 10:07 AM

Yessir I know I can do it in a matter of time...I used to use all manual in every scenario with my XL1S' but I knew them like the back of my hand...kept my zebras on 80% and just felt it when I had just the right amount of exposure.
i guess I have some practicing ahead of me...thanks again,
Randy

David Stembridge September 10th, 2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1563257)

It downconverts better, allows for more light (because of 1/30th shutter speed), and is better for web...

Good luck!!!!

What's the pros over 24f?

Dominik Brandys September 14th, 2010 07:40 AM

zebra

i know this isnt on topic but what is zebra?

G. Randy Brown September 14th, 2010 08:44 AM

They look kinda like horsies but they have black and whites stripes...sorry just kidding
When activated "zebra patterns" will show where your highs/whites are too hot and will be overexposed (if zebra pattern is set to 100) unless you close your iris more until they disappear... If they are set to say 80% you can have some zebra patterns without blowing out the whites and that is the "feel" I was talking about earlier. Unless you have a very good calibrated monitor on set they are absolutely vital in my opinion.
Check out page 64 of the .pdf manual.

HTH,
Randy

Denise Wall September 14th, 2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1563257)

I've only been using 60i for years because of mainly videoing action with fast pans, etc. However, more and more of my video is destined for the web only. Since it's going to have to be deinterlaced anyway, is it better to go ahead and shoot in 30F or just continue to shoot at 60i and deinterlace? IOW, which yields the best quality for web, given action is the type of video I'll be shooting.

Edited to add: I'm also mixing footage with a Canon 7D shot at 30P, and editing with FCS3 if that makes any difference in advice offered.

Patrick Janka September 15th, 2010 12:00 PM

It depends on the situation. I shot an interview recently and used 24f because there was little movement. Too much movement and it gets blurry. In general I'm on 30p. I rarely touch 60i.