DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Any experiences with authorized Canon repair? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/484229-any-experiences-authorized-canon-repair.html)

Jason Sovey September 3rd, 2010 12:28 AM

Any experiences with authorized Canon repair?

I'm pretty bummed right now.

While setting up for a shoot on the rooftop of a building, my bagged A1 and tripod were being hoisted up on a rope, which snapped. The whole payload fell about 4 feet.

End result, the camera cracked where the lens assembly joins with the camera body. When powered up, the selector dial will light up, but the EVF and LCD are dark.

I have business insurance, but I'm sure they'll wiggle out of paying... "we don't cover acts of rope... etc." AT the very least they say the replacement value on a 3 year old A1 is $500, which probably won't cover the repair.

That having been said, what experiences have you all had with major repairs from Canon?

I'm sure since the lens assembly has been breached, and the electronics appear to have been knocked out of whack, the repair would be more expensive than replacement...totalled.

Chris Soucy September 3rd, 2010 01:24 AM

Ah...............

Why not wait till the insurance company actually tells you what they'll cover before going negative.

If you're running as a legit business, just buy another camera and write off the difference on tax, that's what it's there for.

If you're not running a legit business, well, you're stuck between the Insurance company and a hard place, BUT, my knowledge of the USA legal system is pretty flaky, so I wouldn't take too much notice of that.

Next time, make sure to check the rope, can't have been up to much if an A1 broke it, string, perhaps?

As for repairing a modern cam with that much damage, I really don't think so, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, hey, the insurance might just cover that, at least.

CS

Allan Black September 3rd, 2010 01:31 AM

Bad scene Jason.

yes try the insurance .. at least they might cover the rent of another cam while yours is being looked at.

If it's no go, total the cost of the parts then put it up on Ebay .. some repair crowd might buy it and you might make the cost of a bought one. Do it just before a holiday weekend .. the Ebay brigade go beserk.

This outfit are recommended around the traps .. Canon XH A1 Repair | Canon XH A1 Camcorder Repair HTH

Cheers.

Don Palomaki September 5th, 2010 06:10 AM

Last time I used Canon repair was for an XL1 (it was a while ago!). They were fast and fair (as in honest), but not cheap. The repair worked. Repair or replace is a business decision once you sort out the cost and insurance coverage..

Mark Scott September 9th, 2010 03:03 PM

My experience was very professional

It was fast and painless..

Taky Cheung September 10th, 2010 07:42 PM

Yes canon repair service here in Irvine, CA is fast and painless. They will email you a quote if it's out of warranty. Then you can decide to go with it or not.

Steve Wolla September 10th, 2010 08:57 PM

I must second that about the Irvine CA repair center. They're great, easy to work with, very professional.
Still, this may be your opportunity to upgrade to an XF300/305, or even a 5D MKII.

Norman Lang September 11th, 2010 11:27 AM

Active recall

As many of you know. There is an active recall of the Canon XH A1 due to a flaw in the grip design. Canon will send you a shipping label and replace the handle free of charge. It may not be a big help in a case where you dropped it, but it's a good way to have your camera updated, cleaned and checked out for free.

Christopher Benes October 11th, 2010 02:43 PM

I've sent a couple XHA1 to the Canon repair facility outside of NYC in NJ and both times they quickly completed the repair work satisfactorily. Turn around was maybe two weeks total. Real easy to log the repair and provide requisite info on the Canon website and then just ship the unit merrily away.

Cynthia Granville October 12th, 2010 01:28 PM

My experience with Canon repair in New Jersey was excellent. I had been wanting to send in for the grip replacement and get the clean/check, but was busy on several shoots and hadn't had time for the turnaround. During my last shoot, there had been an accident with a couple of actors slamming into the camera and my headphone jack was now broken, so I couldn't wait any longer. I had read on a forum that the best way to get the cleaning etc done free (I am out of warranty) was to walk it in, and I felt also I'd get better info on how long I'd have to wait to get the camera back. Directions via mapquest are very confusing, so I found myself lost and calling Canon for help with only a few minutes to closing. The facility is a very long drive for me, so I was feeling desperate about trying another day. The Canon rep who took my call tried to direct me without telling me that the call had actually been routed to Virginia...when he heard how upset I was, he routed my call to Dottie in NJ who stayed on the phone with me and basically walked me into the facility. She waited after hours for me, met me at security, logged in the camera, recommended to me that I join the new users club (old one is phased out). Camera was returned to me in less than a week, grip replaced, cleaned and checked, headphone jack replaced, no charge for anything.

Kenneth Burgener October 15th, 2010 07:59 PM

From two years ago, and they have my camera again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Burgener
Well guys I understand about the a/c and all, but I did not sleep in a/c or have a a/c car. It was not that hot there, just some rain. I will do all the things mentioned here. I got a wet bag and will get some dry air and silica .

My main beef is with Canon who would not tell me what was wrong with my camera. They replaced the insides and I think it could have been fixed with out all the replacements.
No one who knew my camera would speak with me. I felt that I was pressed to spend $900 because it was faster to replace everything, and they make more money that way. Am I way off base here?
I believe you are not off base at all Kenneth.

From years of trying to get Canon (Canon UK - Home) to stop pretending that they offer customer help on a user-friendly website I am satisfied that it is Canon company policy
1. to make good products but
2. to avoid doing anything that would help the customer and the potential customer to apply our own brainpower to a Canon product WITHOUT being at the mercy of the Canon camera shop

That's how Canon get the shops involved in selling Canon products.

Do I have written evidence of my theory (which is not at all exclusive to Canon)? Yes, I do. It stares me in the face every time I open the instruction manuals for my Digital Rebel, EOS 40D, XM2, XL2 & HV20. I used to write bits of manuals in a previous life. I know when a writer's language is trying to be dry-factual. I also know when a writer is trying to be informative and helpful. Canon are not just dry-factual, they are stingy. Canon website is a carefully calculated blind alley to the point of being a mockery. They deliberately oblige you to rely on the "shops" as their salesmen, advisors and hopefully experts ... not original but a cunning marketing strategy.

So your Canon dealer follows the mean example of Canon and tells you as little as possible because by keeping you in the dark they can keep quoting to you from a litany that "your brake-pads need replacing" and next time "hairline fracture in your drive-shaft" and "slight wobble in the steering column" etc etc. And not just things you can't check but "Just to open this camera is going to cost a basic $250 OK?"

... so the dealer makes money and the Canon repairman makes money

... and you and I have to keep finding better questions to ask followed by better questions to ask in response to the half-answers we get and on and on.

You're lucky. You have an enquiring mind. DVInfo (incl me) needs people like you. Don't go away. Then we may all be a little more fortunate and interdependent in an adult way.
It's the only answer I know to vested interests.

Roger Shealy October 15th, 2010 08:21 PM

My experience was excellent. They replaced a cracked case, busted up microphone, and the entire lens of an A1 involved in a car accident for around $400! Fast and fair.