DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Should i sell my canon for a canon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/484396-should-i-sell-my-canon-canon.html)

Dominik Brandys September 7th, 2010 04:30 PM

Should i sell my canon for a canon

should i sell my canon xh a1 that i just got? for a canon 7D?
i mean the canon xh a1 is probly great but when ever i plug it in to my computer it never whats to export so because of this problem and i dont think i can fix it. i need another camcorder so should i get it?

Stephen Sobel September 7th, 2010 05:29 PM

??? If you want some suggestions as to exporting into your computer, you need to give more details? I have the XH-A1, and I use Vegas Pro software for editing. I've NEVER had any trouble getting my video into my computer.

Dominik Brandys September 7th, 2010 06:02 PM

reply`

first of all here are my specs:
windows 7 ultimate 64bit
im using a 4pin to 4pin firewire
and im using software:
sony vegas 9 pro
adobe premier pro cs 4
adobe premier pro cs 5
adobe onlocation cs 5
ive tried all of them
and the problem is,
when i try to "import" , "download" , or whatever u call to get the video from the camcorder to computer all i get is a black screen on my computer but on my canon is show's the video playing.
that is my problem :/

Roger Shealy September 7th, 2010 06:57 PM

Check your firewire cable (change if you have another) and also look at the firewire port of the XHA1. They are notorious for getting damaged. Sometimes you can bend a pin back in place or find the "magic spot" where the plug makes good contact. Usually Canon is very generous on camera repairs. Seems like just about all of them are around $400 + shipping. Had on camera in a car crash that had a cracked case, broken handle, busted microphone, and the entire lens had to be replaced. $440.

By the way, is the camera receiving the import commands from the computer and playing the tape or are you manually playing the tape from the camera's controls?

Dominik Brandys September 7th, 2010 07:10 PM

i dont really have 400$ right now i dont even have a case :)
im just a 16 year old trying to pursuit his dream.
but enough about me.
All the programs responds to my camcorder (i.e rewind , play ,ect)
All the pins are good and not bend i checked.
i just recently bought new firewire. So i will report back to see if its a bad cable.
thanks for your help :D

Stephen Sobel September 7th, 2010 07:15 PM

Did you use the "capture video" function, as opposed to import?

Dominik Brandys September 7th, 2010 07:23 PM

i've tried everthing i know in my little arsenal :(
ill report back to you guys when i get my new firewire thank you :)

Stephen Sobel September 7th, 2010 07:33 PM

Good luck!!!

Roger Shealy September 7th, 2010 08:23 PM

Dominik,

Well first off, if your 16 you're starting off with some pretty good gear!

If you are using 9.0 the preview window doesn't show the captured footage like it used to. You should, however, be getting footage into your computer that would appear in the project media folder after a scene finishes capturing. I haven't used tape capture in a while, but I had a XHA1 just as I changed to 9.0 and it was a little screwy importing because the new version didn't preview the capture like Pro 8.

Also make sure you are using the appropriate capture program. This could be an issue if you have been using Standard Definition cameras up to this point and haven't changed the capture program. If you are shooting HDV (60i, 30F, or 24F) then make sure you are using the "internal" video capture software. With Vegas Pro open:

- Left click on "Options" at top of screen
- Left click on "Preferences" on pull down menu
- Left click on "Video" tab
- About 1/3 of the way down the Video Window is a check box that says "Use external capture application". If you are using Standard Definition, then check this box. If you are using HDV, then make sure the box is unchecked. If you had to change this setting, then try capturing again.

If this doesn't work, I've had a few instances where I got the sequence of plugging in the firewire and turning on the camera out of sync. I believe you are supposed to hook up the firewire, go to capture menu, then turn on the camera so the software recognizes the camera, then hit the "record" red dot to start capture. I've had to actually close down Vegas altogether, restart it, then try again.

Here's one other alternative. Go to Cineform.com and try NeoScene for free to see how it captures. This would rule out some deep down toggle or something in Vegas that may be hard to find: CineForm Product Downloads

And the last option is to us someone else's camera to load the tape into the computer. If you are shooting 60i, then almost any HDV camera will do. If you are shooting 24F or 30F, you'll have to use another XHA1 or one of the HV20/30/40 HDV cams.

Good Luck!

Dominik Brandys September 7th, 2010 09:38 PM

almost done

well ive downloaded sony vegas 8 and ive done the settings u told me and it worked!!!
but only for 1 time. and by it worked i mean the preview was there was no video captured onto my computer.
and when i rewinded it didnt work anymore :(.
BTW i went on my device manager and my camcorder called "AV/AC tape device" or something like that was listened under video sound and game controller. Now shouldn't it be listen under imaging device?

Roger Shealy September 8th, 2010 04:24 AM

Well, you could have a lot of setting go wonkers on your computer like the computer trying to use a webcam for capture instead of the XHA1....

When you press the capture icon at the top of the screen (little camera with wire and red plug) a capture window appears on the screen. Left click "prefs" then "general"

make sure you have the check boxes selected that you want,especially "add new clips to project media".

then left click on the "device" tab and select "IEEE 1394 MPEG2-TS device" in "device type" field and the computer should indicate your XHA1 in "device field" if its hooked up. If you can't get these indicated right, you'll never get it to work. This could be due to a conflict on your computer, a cable problem, or some whacky setup for gaming or other peripherals.

If you still have problems, try the Cineform NeoScene trial and see if that connects. I think there is a great likelihood your camera is fine and you have something happening in Vegas or your PC setup and perhaps NeoScene will help you come at it from another angle.

Bo Sundvall September 8th, 2010 05:10 AM

Hi

You can also try a little program called HDVsplit. It's a pretty basic capture program that also have the possability to detect scenes during capture (or afterwards) and also have preview. I use it more or less allways for capturing tapes from my HV20 and XH-A1.

It's a freeware, search on google for HDVsplit, download, install and give it a try.

Good luck!

Regards,

/Bo

Patrick Janka September 15th, 2010 02:45 AM

I use Premiere CS5. When capturing, Premiere won't allow you to view HDV footage. You can watch it on your camera, and it does get captured/transferred, but you cannot monitor it on screen.

Jonathan Shaw September 15th, 2010 07:42 PM

Going back to your original question A1 / 7D I have 2 A1's and 7D love them all but to be honest the A1'a get more action 7D great for the 'money shot' A1's the workhorse.

Dominik Brandys September 22nd, 2010 12:13 AM

I found out a fix for my problem turns out my FireWire is broken even thought it reads that the camcorder is connected it does not want to transfer. I found a simple fix and I bought a new computer. Ever since I've fell in live with the canon and wouldn't sell it :) thanks for all your help!!!