DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Recommend a tripod head for the XHA1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/484449-recommend-tripod-head-xha1s.html)

David B. Sanders September 8th, 2010 12:50 PM

Recommend a tripod head for the XHA1s

1 Attachment(s)
I currently have a Manfrotto 701RC2 head which I use on a Manfrotto 190MF3 magfiber tripod. I know the tripod is light but I often have to carry it and the camera on long hikes into the field. So less weight is desired.

But the 701RC2 head doesn’t pan smooth at all. I have used the rubber band trick which helps. But I did find several reviews on this head as not being smooth.

Can you recommend another head?

Richard D. George September 8th, 2010 06:57 PM

Sachtler FSB 6, which is a true fluid head. If results mean anything to you, avoid manfrotto.

I'm dead serious.

Richard

Chris Soucy September 8th, 2010 07:17 PM

I agree with Richard...........

Avoid Manfrotto.

If you want a REAL head, go for one of these, made special for the Canon XH and similar size/ weight camcorders:

Review: Vinten Vision Blue at DVInfo.net

Magic

CS

Bo Sundvall September 9th, 2010 08:21 AM

Hi

I own a Sachtler FSB6 myself. Really expensive as video is only a hobby for me but I'll never again use Manfrotto heads for panning and tilting. FSB6 is true fluid. It will probably last a lifetime.

Save time, money and frustration, go for a Sachtler or a Vinten that suits your camera weight.

Regards,

/Bo

Christopher Neville September 9th, 2010 08:38 AM

I agree with the others. I have a Manfrotto 503 head and have come to hate it. I really have to fight with it to get a semi-smooth pan. I would highly recommend looking at some of the suggested options.

Mark Fry September 24th, 2010 08:23 AM

The 701-series Manfroto is probably too small for the XH-A1. I had a 501, which was OK but then I borrowed a friend's Vinten Vision 3 and suddenly the 501 didn't seem good enough any more! However, the Vinten weighs a lot more than the 501, which is anyway heavier than your 701. Is the Sachtler any lighter? I somehow doubt it, but it might be worth a look. The other thing is that Vinten and Sachtler are seriously more expensive that the Manfroto models. My Vision 3 head was about £600 2 years ago (more than a complete Manfroto tripod and head), and the Sachtler is similar.

Have you seen the new Manfroto 504HD? It's about £300 in the UK. Don't know what it's like to use....

Anything lighter that works as well is likely to be more expensive still. Anything cheaper that works as well is likely to be heavier. So you have a dilema - how much can you afford? How much weight are you prepared to carry?

Richard D. George September 24th, 2010 01:06 PM

Another vote for the Sachtler FSB 6 head. Really good, and a true fluid head. The new Vinton Blue may be good as well.