DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   First Music Video shot with XHA1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/487638-first-music-video-shot-xha1s.html)

Dave Brytus November 17th, 2010 11:50 PM

First Music Video shot with XHA1s

I am in the process of shooting and editing my first music video. I just shot the band part last weekend and I still have to edit all of the story line into it still. However, here is the band part of them playing. I shot the video at HDV 24F in full manual mode. Shutter speed was set at 100. I used Sony Vegas Pro 9 for the edit. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

YouTube - test video

Josh Keffer November 24th, 2010 04:42 PM

Nice work Dave!

I particularly like the blown out highlights along side the deep blacks. I'm a big fan of the high-contrast look, and I think it works well for that type of video.

What other equipment did you use? Jib, dolly?

Kevin Pineda November 26th, 2010 11:39 PM

video already removed from youtube!

Dave Brytus December 11th, 2010 02:27 PM

Sorry about that....here is the link to the video!

We had really no budget for this so we used a homemade dolly with skate board wheels and PVC pipe. We also used a fork lift type thing to get the high angle shots.

John Kilderry December 11th, 2010 04:54 PM

Loved it! The editing was tight and you had creative camera angles. How many takes did you have with one camera? LOL That was some work to get done. The only thing I noticed was the vignetting needed to be feathered a bit more when you have open sky shots for my tastes, but that is subjective.

Dave Brytus December 12th, 2010 11:31 AM

Thanks! I think we shot it 10 times from all different angles. It was a long day.

John Rappa December 13th, 2010 11:29 AM

Nice, Very Nice!

What did you use to capture the audio? Did you do anything speical with the audio?

Patrick Janka December 13th, 2010 12:30 PM

Looks awesome, man! Did you use the same frame rate and shutter for the story line test shots? At 24 seconds in the shot gets really blurry. Did you manually defocus, or was that done in post? What about the other blurry shots? Did you use any bounce boards for the sun light? How did you color grade? If you used MB Looks, which preset did you use, and did you leave it stock? Like someone else said the vignette needs to be feathered more, it's a little too harsh. Sorry for all the questions, but I think the video looks amazing, and am curious about the tech details. Thanks!

Ollie James December 13th, 2010 01:06 PM

Nice work! That's really inspired me to get on with a music video for a friends band! Thanks for posting.

Dave Brytus December 14th, 2010 12:22 PM

I shot the band part at 24 frames per second and shutter at 100. The other story part shots were 24f and at shutter of 48. All of the out of focus shots were done in post. Color correction was done in post using the VASST software. The preset was called omaha adventure. We did use a white board to bounce light on some of the close ups. Most the shots for the band part was just natural sunlight. During the shoot, i captured the band playing to the song over a PA system using a shotgun mic hooked into my xha1. I then synced all the shots up in post with the masterd MP3.

Dave Brytus December 14th, 2010 12:24 PM

Here are some other shots we will be including in the video if u havent seen them. Frame rate was 24f and shutter was 48.

Patrick Janka December 14th, 2010 11:11 PM

cool, thanks for the reply!