Raynox HDP 9000EX 1.8x tele lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 19th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Raynox HDP 9000EX 1.8x tele lens

I used a Raynox HDP 9000EX 1.8x tele lens for the first time on my XH-A1. I'm impressed. The lens works great for birds or other subjects between 10-200 yards. However, I noticed some degradation at infinity. The other interesting problem is that the A1 with the 9000 EX is a real wind catcher. Even while using image stabilization, a sudden wind gust can shake things up. Over all, it looks like a great combination for me.

This video was shot exclusively with the XH-A1 and the Raynox HDP 9000EX 1.8x tele lens.

Dave Rice
Sitka, Alaska
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Dave, Love the shot of the boat, use of slo-mo and the composition on the closing shot. What kind of sticks and head you using?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Manfrotto 128LP . The whole kit is at my maximum for moving around. It's a lot of weight for me. I just don't have the strength and endurance any more.

For the last two months I have been dealing with 20-40 knot winds and some camera bounce on every trip out. Many of our winter birds haven't showed up yet. We have more birds in Sitka in the winter than the summer.

The Raynox lens does work great for some things. Especially when your after a critter or bird.

I'm hoping for a wide angle adapter. I see where I would need such a lens while trying to shoot on or from a boat or other confined space.

Dave
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Major Player

..and what kind of support did you use for the lens? My guess is you probably had to have one as this adapter is long and heavy.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Major Player

I haven't found the Raynox 9000EX 1.8 Lens to be that heavy. For my use, as long as I keep a eye on the 20-40 knot wind gusts, I see no need for additional supports for the lens.

Also, if you tip the A1 in a "lens up" vertical position, the 9000EX is very easy to add or remove.

Like I said, the A1 with the Raynox 9000EX is a excellent combination for birds and wildlife. It will also work for me when shooting fishing boats, surfers, or other subjects from a distance.

Dave
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Great stuff David I liked them all .. great place you live in. Have you been out with the A1 in winter? Any tips like how does the low temps affect it.

Cheers.
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Major Player

The scene with the volcano and waves was shot in 28 degree F with wind gusts to 50 mph. I'll let someone else figure out the wind chill. All I know, is that it was well below freezing and required cloves for my hands.

An individual from Canada was kind enough to send me a Kata Rain Cover. Used it three times. This is a much required item: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367589-REG/Kata_KT_VA_801_15_CRC_15_RC_15_Compact_Rain.html
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi

I've checked the video both on Vimeo and I've also downloaded it to be able to see it in better quality. I agree with you that the quality is impressive given it's an "add on" lens used. The XH-A1 camcorder suffers a bit from chromatic abberation (CA) and that can also be seen in high contrast scenes in the film. Without extensive test it's hard to tell if the Raynox lens just increases the CA on the A1 lens or if the lens itself adds more CA. As far as I can judge from the video it seems to be reasonably sharp all over the frame. Are all scenes filmed with the Raynox lens, including the wide shots? I really liked the end shot.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes. However, wide shots are difficult to set up. Why bother? I am not impressed with extreme long distant infinity shots either. I think the sweet spot is for birds/animals between 10 and 200 yards.
Old November 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #10
Trustee

got mine for sale on ebay if anyone's interested

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/f-ebay/4...ts-extras.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders