Xf100 vs canon xha1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 9th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Xf100 vs canon xha1

hello there...

I am looking forward to replace my canon xha1 with an XF100 and I would like to ask your opinion about this comparison...

what are the prons and negative between this cameras.

i will use it mostly on wedding videography as a backup camera, on multishootings and sometimes on my 8meter jib

I would love to buy the XF300 but it is out of my budget at the moment .

thank u in advance.
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Make a choice that suits your needs, not the needs of some other guy who made the decision under entirely different circumstances. I don't mean to make this too black and white, but here's the basic rundown.

With an XF100, you lose:

3-ring lens
Some physical controls
20x zoom
3CCD (may be good or bad)

You gain:
50mbps 4:2:2 codec
1CMOS (this may be a serious con if you can't deal with skew)
Relay recording
Better monitor/viewfinder with waveform

Obviously, there are move differences than that, but if you aren't suffering from the use of your A1, and don't need the codec, relay recording, or display enhancements, or any of the other little things, then there's no reason to upgrade.

To be fair, I own neither camera. I'm a data-miner, so this is more of a collection of thoughts from elsewhere than a personal opinion. Just consider that you will be spending additional money on the XF100, but only you can decide if it's going to be worth it.
Renny Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank u for the reply Renny!

here how its goes...

I have 2 canon xah1. I will sold them later this week

I have desided to go for an EX1R and cause I can not buy 2 of them i Need a cheaper second camera..

XF100 is not in my options anymore. I will try to increese my budget a bit and go for an AX2000 or an NX5

EX1 and one of them (AX2000 OR NX5 ) will be a great tag team
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Why not just get a pair of NX5's then--that would be an easier deal to work with in post, as you don't have to mix codecs, and possibly experience long rebdering times as a result. Unless you really need the little extra dof control that the EX1R brings to the table.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Why not just get a pair of NX5's then--that would be an easier deal to work with in post, as you don't have to mix codecs, and possibly experience long rebdering times as a result. Unless you really need the little extra dof control that the EX1R brings to the table.

u have right , + it will cost me cheaper.

I have placed my order for the nx5, I still didnt havent desided 100% for going to the ex1r for the above reason..

I do like the 1/2 censor of the ex1r and the dof control that brings . I will w8 for the NX5 to arrive and then continue ordering the other camera. the other option is buy the AX2000 wich it have the same codec like the nx5 and picture quality and save the extra money for the nxcam s35 next summer (which will be better for me i guess)
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora View Post

u have right , + it will cost me cheaper.
but it won't be the same image my friend, if you shoot weddings you know how important is low light ability of the camera, because as a rule, 80% of the event is an indoor shooting;
I would buy EX1/r (because it was just made for event videographers) as a main camera, and use DSLR as a second camera for creative shots, or if it has to be a camcorder, I would wait and see how XA10 stands against XF100 and made my decision, well, actually that's what I'm doing, I'm getting either one, depending on the side by side results,
best.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

U have a point Buda ,

if i could , i was going to buy the ex1r and have my 5d for creative shots, but most my wedding projects are multicamera shootings and I can not afford buying 2 x ex1r .

ps: maybe ill be lucky and find a good used ex1 . I still have time for searching around the net :)
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora View Post
U have a point Buda ,

if i could , i was going to buy the ex1r and have my 5d for creative shots, but most my wedding projects are multicamera shootings and I can not afford buying 2 x ex1r .
ps: maybe ill be lucky and find a good used ex1 . I still have time for searching around the net :)
oh yeah,
today you can find EX1 used less than 100 Hrs for as little as $4500, and btw I wouldn't buy 2 EX1 for weddings, I want that DSLRs DOF for my creative shots; for my videos I use one EX1 and three DSLRs - 1/5/7D; it is surprising how cinematic and entertaining , when shot with three cameras, the most boring part of any wedding video (speeches) can be :)
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: Xf100 vs canon xha1

hello there again, I would like to know which is better in low light terms

XF100 VS CANON XHA1

any help?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Go Cycle

Old March 31st, 2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Major Player

The xf100 seems to maintain better color as you add additional gain.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:03 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for sharing that video, Lou!

Wow Canon XH-A1 still maintains the image quality pretty well even at high gain. Not too much grain, although I agree with Kevin that XF300 produces a more consistent color throughout the entire gain range.

The only downside to the former is probably the fact that it's still tape-based and you need to spend at least $600 to get a tapeless solution. Otherwise, the XH-A1 still holds its own despite the age.
Jimmy Toha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders