Advice needed: using the XH-A1 for a TV ad at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 9th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Advice needed: using the XH-A1 for a TV ad

I may be getting a contract to produce a TV ad for a benefit event, and will be using my trusty XH-A1 for shooting. What I'm considering is capturing uncompressed 4:2:2 from the component out in order to get the best image quality for editing, and to boost the bitrate to a minimum of 50 mbps. However, only the Ki Pro (not the mini) seems to be able to capture an analog signal, and while the shoot will more likely than not take place in a studio, i'm a bit apprehensive with cerating a new, complicated and (for me) untested shooting workflow..

What are my options? Am I needlessly complicating matters by capturing from component, given the benefits? And if I use 25 mbps HDV footage, what are my options for upconverting to something the broadcasters will like (presuming they won't just accomodate HDV)? I expect the foundation organizing the event to get a free transfer to DVCPro, either from an independent lab or the broadcaster itself.

Any advice is appreciated.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Major Player

"Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before?"

Well the TV as fell through (the client isn't doing one this year), but I got a commitment for the next time. So, I'd still appreciate any advice anyone who's shot TV ads (and knows the XH-A1) can offer.

Anyone?

J.;
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders