On flight case? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 12th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Tourist

On flight case?

Hi there,

First post on this forum, so it's nice to finally be more than a lurker!

I'm doing some filming overseas, and never having done this before (and not being able to take my usual case due to size constraints) I'm not entirely sure what the best case would be for my xha1s in terms of hand luggage? I was looking at the kata cc-192 but the usual guys I go to for all my gear don't have it so I was hoping to get some opinions and advise before I ask them to special order it in. Is there anything similar that you would suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Leanne Lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Heaps of info here if you do a search.

airline case for a1 - Google Search
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Major Player

By the way, I use a Pelican 1520 with the pluck out foam for my A1. Also have room for spare battery, tapes, etc.
If you want to save a bit of money, though, pop into your nearest Jaycar and check out the 'Instrument' cases they have in stock. They look almost identical to the Pelicans, just not as refined a finish, but are roughly half the price. Worth considering.
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually, they've even got one with wheels:
ABS Instrument Rolling Case with Purge Valve MPV8 - Jaycar Electronics
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks very much for the suggestions!
My only concern with the Jaycar case is the weight... carry on has a limit of 5kg and that looks like it might be a bit on the heavy side. Going to check it out tomorrow.
My partner actually got me a bag but it's slightly too small so there's a lot of pressure placed on the mic when the bag is shut.. I'm worried that might be an issue.
Old January 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Qantas are now very strict with weight, especially if you're flying in the A380. I have it on good authority they are known to send some A380 luggage on the next 747, on the SYD-NY run.

Also know of a Sony carried onboard in a strong cardboard box and carefully placed in the o/head rack.

The battery was installed and its hard case with spare batteries along with external mic, tapes etc. was checked in. It all survived.

Cheers.
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Tourist

Yeah I thought that they'd be fairly strict on carry on luggage weight, and seeing as you're not able to pay for extra weight/size unlike with check in luggage I'm not going to risk it.
Unfortunately the ABS instrument case weighed in at over 5kg with my Canon... so I've decided to just pay to have the Kata cc192 rush-ordered in.

Thank you all for your help :)
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Major Player

I suppose it depends on the airline. Wouldn't know about Qantas as I haven't flown with them for over a decade. Hopeless mob.
Air NZ and Emirates, as I recall, allow 7kg for carry on baggage. The Pelican 1520 with the A1, battery, hood and tapes weighs 6.5kg and I assume the Jaycar case would be roughly the same.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders