Canon Xh A1 - best preset for indoor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon Xh A1 - best preset for indoor

Hello!

I need a preset for my Canon Xh A1 for indoor light to 3200K. What do you advise me?
Thanks!
Francesco Mazzeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Trustee

Main thing is to white balance first, then engage CP.

If your tungsten lights are struggling to give enough light (theatre, big hall etc) then I would recommend using PFVISION. Otherwise, you take your pick according to the effect you want eg PANALOK2 if the colours are very dull.

Usual caution, don't overdo the tweaking as you shoot - it can be done (and redone if you don't like it) in post. If you distort the colours too much with a Custom Preset you can be stuck with it.

There's a lot of posts on choice of presets.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco Mazzeo View Post
Hello!

I need a preset for my Canon Xh A1 for indoor light to 3200K. What do you advise me?
Thanks!
You are asking the wrong question. Custom presets control the imager. Indoor lighting vs outdoor lighting is controlled by the white balance setting of the a1 (in simple terms). Read the manual on how to set the white balance to a specific temperature or to a custom one using a white card.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

There's plenty in the archives on this, most ppl select the CP first then white balance the scene.

I select the Custom Preset frame it on the scene, then use my neutral ExpoImaging - ExpoDisc Video Applications Support to white balance it.

It's great for mixed lighting.

Cheers.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
There's plenty in the archives on this, most ppl select the CP first then white balance the scene.
Francesco I wouldn't like to give you misleading advice. There was indeed a lot of debate about this two or three years ago. Looks like we both need to read it. Here's a starter:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...tml#post913051 and replies following this post. I must have remembered post #326:
Quote:
The answer of Canon:
First set the camera to default (switch off any preset) and then do a manual white balance or use the right (K)elvin value. Then switch on presets and choose the one you want to use.
Then follows debate about whether to do it Canon's way (method 1) or like Allan suggested, doing it the other way round, ie setting the CP first (method 2).

Maybe try it both ways and see which you prefer if you have time?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders