a1s w/cf or ax2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

a1s w/cf or ax2000

Title says it all! What would you do, go with the cf recording unit on your current a1s, or go with a sony ax-2000? The A1s would still be 1440 x 1080 correct? Even with the recorder? Where as the ax-2000 will do 1920 x 1080?
Jon Medjeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

A word of warning: You're going to get people's personal opinions if you ask "What would you prefer?" You'll get a much more helpful answer if you ask "Which would I prefer, given that I want to [insert area of business here] and need a camera that will[list functions here]?"

Just remember, the AX2000 is built for solid state, while the A1s with a CF drive adds it as an afterthought. You get a better codec from the AX2000, but you lose out if you require CCDs or certain professional-level options. Since you did ask, I favor the AX2000 (the NX5, really, but that's another $400).

By the way, a new XH-A1s with Sony CF module is about $3750, and a new AX2000 is $3500, and it includes an extra hi-cap battery.
Renny Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Try Again

I will take Renny's advice somewhat........

Which would I prefer, given that I want to film deer and turkey hunts again next year and have a xha1s but am unsure if I want to drop a thousand on a cf recorder or sell the camera and get a sony ax200 or nx5? The low light capabilities seem to be better on the sonys?
Jon Medjeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i had the same dillema few month ago . now i have deside to sold my canon xha1 with datavideo dn-60
and upgrade to an NX5

the reason for selling the a1 to an nx5?

Memory recording on affordable consumer memory cards offers workflow efficiency at both the shooting and editing stages. Combined with hybrid recording, using an optional HXR-FMU128, the user achieves a totally IT-based workflow, with the added bonus of instant data backup.

better in low light than canon xha1

Active SteadyShot Feature

comes with a free copy of vegas 10 :))
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders