It's too darn hot! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Inner Circle

It's too darn hot!

G'day all. There's a lot of threads about using the A1/s cams in very low and below freezing temps but not many, or any I could find about running the cam on very very hot days.

Recently we've had temps above 40C (102F), 45C in fact (113F) along with the worst floods in memory and a giant cyclone in Qld.

The cams are rated to 40C and with a couple of outdoor events and the hot weather returning I'm wondering whether it'll be worth it.

Out in the sun without cover, the cams insides will go way above the outside temp .. even getting to the events we'll have to keep the cams inside the cars in the aircon and take care equalising the temp.

So who has experience with this, and what happened to yr poor 'ole A1? Did it go into the shop, what repairs and what was the cost?

Cheers.
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Hey Allen,
I did do a couple of days filming up in Hattah Kulkyne (not sure if i spelt that correctly) it's up the north east corner of Victoria. While it wasn't humid, it was very hot, 46deg C infact! I didn't have any problems at all with my A1, but at those temps, i wouldn't be confident in telling you will be ok, just that i didn't have any problems personally.
Hope this helps,
Bryce
Old February 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #3
Major Player

G'day Allan.
December/January gets pretty hot and humid up this way. Had no problems with the A1 though.
A couple of times I've forgotten and left it in the boot (in its Pelican case) on very hot days. The camera case was hot to the touch when I felt it but, as I didn't switch it on until after it cooled, it was fine.
Bill Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks guys that does help. Canon are just covering themselves by stating 40C as the top temp, but there must be a temp above that where things start cooking.

I've found my Pelican case is not temp proof too .. might pack a thermometer and more cold packs in with the beer.

Cheers.
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #5
New Boot

Work fine for us

We've been using HX-A1 models in India for a long time at temps around 45C. Never had any problems we could associate with heat.
Dave Sweet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders