XH-G1/G1S + nanoFlash anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Inner Circle

XH-G1/G1S + nanoFlash anyone?

I'm planning to get this combo within the next year and a half and I just want to know if anyone has attempted this or even have raw footage shot with this combo?

If you do have it, how do you deal with batteries to power both the nanoFlash and the XH-G1/G1S?

The CMOS tapeless cameras are not something I'm privvy to. I despise the rolling shutter. Unless affordable global shutters come to CMOS sensors, I'm sticking to CCDs.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: XH-G1/G1S + nanoFlash anyone?

Over a week without anyone coming forward, so I'm guessing that's a no then...

Another question, will REC RUN timecode run without a tape? Meaning I hit the VTR button and the timecode starts running and that will be the REC trigger for the nanoFlash.
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Major Player

I have a n XLH1 + nanoflash. There is no reason why the XH-G1/G1S with nanoflash should not be the same as the XLH1 / H1s with the nanoflash. Just make sure the camera has the hd/sdi jack pack.

You would need to buy extra batteries for the nanoflash. I velcro my batteries to the rear side of the nanoflash. I attach my nanoflash to the accessory plate, with the G1 you would need to mount it to the hotshoe mount. This means you would need an sdi cable long enough to reach from the sdi out to the hotshoe area.

With the nanoflash you can choose whether to record with tape or to go completely tapeless. The nanoflash will make its own internal timecode if you are recording without tapes; you cant get timecode from the camera unless it is running a tape.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The G1/G1S does have a HD-SDI port and Timecode in/out. Unfortunately the remote connection is not on the G1 and G1S, so how do I trigger a recording with the camera's VTR button? Or do you have to do it a different way? (all these scenarios are without tape)
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Major Player

If you are not running any tape then the nanoflash would not be able to receive any incoming timecode from the camera (the timecode is what is normally used to to trigger recording with the nanoflash - as soon as the tape starts rolling the nano starts recording).

If you are not using any tape at all then you would have to turn the auto power save function in the camera settings to off (otherwise the camera shuts down after x minutes of inactivity). Then you would set the nanoflash settings to internal timecode and manual record. To start filming you would then push the record button on the nanoflash, which would film the live signal from the camera and create its own timecode.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Darn. Was hoping with a TCG in the camera and no tape that I could just press the VTR button on the camera...

There's one less BNC to buy, but this also means the inconvenience of a VTR button on the Nanoflash rather than my camera. If there was a VTR button I could stick onto my camera's handle, that'd make it easier.
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Jack, did you ever get to try a nanoFlash on your G1S? Interested in how this combo works,

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders