¿XH-A1s or HVX200A? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
New Boot

¿XH-A1s or HVX200A?

Can anyone break down the Pros & Cons on these two?

which has a better "film look?"

thanks!
Jimmy Mehiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: ¿XH-A1s or HVX200A?

that did not quite garner the response I was hoping for.. ha.

let me try and be a little less vague.

I guess what I need to know is whether anyone thinks there is a major disadvantage to one camera or the other.

Low Light performance seems to be similar, but maybe I'm missing something..
I'm also concerned about the fact that the XH-A1s shows 1080i next to the 30 and 24 frame rate options. does this mean that it will have an interlaced "look" even when shooting at these adjusted frame rates?

does one of these cameras work better with FCP? it seems that both formats are native to FCP.. but maybe I'm missing something.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward the HVX but I do like the lens rings on the XH-A1s..

I'll be using the camera mostly for documentary shooting, but would like to have enough flexibility to shoot some material that would require a bit more of a "film look."

Any info/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to pull the trigger on a purchase in the very near future.

thanks again.
-Jimmy
Jimmy Mehiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Major Player

If you want to consider cams outside the Canon family....and not to knock the XHA1 (I have and still use sometimes, one of the 1st)

Consider looking at the HMC150, or perhaps the AF100. XHA1s is a great cam, but if comparing to the Panasonic line, the HMC150 or AF100 are better choices. Want interchangable lenses, and real cinema cam features? Get the AF100.

Do more event work? Need something more like the XHA1 in form, but with better low light and the ability to shoot real progressive? Get the HMC150.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Major Player

The HVX has tapeless recording, but the cards are expensive. It also has the ability to shoot to tape, but only in SD. That could be bad if you need to give a client raw tapes and they want HD. The HVX has much better audio, both in quality, and the ability to record 4 channel stereo. The HVX also has the ability to shoot in 720p. As far as film look I'd probably give the edge to Panasonic using custom colors. I've seen the HVX on craigslist for pretty good prices, so I'd probably go with the HVX if it was me.
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:54 AM   #5
Trustee

Out of those two choices I'd go with the HVX200, unless I needed long record times (P2 cards are expensive!), but there are much better choices available now. If I was in the market for this type of camera right now I'd be looking at the Panasonic HMC150 or the Sony NX5.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Mehiel View Post
Can anyone break down the Pros & Cons on these two?
which has a better "film look?"
thanks!
Any DSLR shooting video will give you 'better film look' than A1 or HVX, but you need to know limitations and know how to work them around, but from the other hand, if person knows what he's doing, and has post production experience, his iPhone footage is going to have 'better film look', than mine shot on red epic :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders