Pimped out XHA1s? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 26th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pimped out XHA1s?

What have you added to yours that has made it a more versatile camera? What do you use it for?

We have had 2 for about 6 months, and just have started really recognizing the need for DTEs for both. Tried out Sony HVR-MRC1s; and while they do work; they don't really have the ability to shoot "card only" using camera controls. The only was is while shooting tape as well. Theres a delay with that as well.

Looking at the Focus FS-CF units now. I don't like their battery options; but they talk very nicely to canon cameras. Looks like it may be a better option. Now, the mount situation.... Just not sure on that yet.
David Stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Pimped out XHA1s?

>>> What have you added to yours that has made it a more versatile camera? What do you use it for? <<<

David .. the Canon WD-H72 wide angle convertor together with the B+W 502 graduated neutral density filter, drops the sky 2 stops, together with the Manfrotto 523PROi lanc controller ... game changers for shooting aircraft.

Cheers.
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Allan, does this adaptor allow zoom through?
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's a zoom through convertor Dave, different from an adaptor :)

I first got a WD-H43 for my HV20s and was sold on 'em. The WD-H72 is WAS! expensive, HEY! BnH have dropped their new price .. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/464579-REG/Canon_1724B001_WD_H72_72mm_0_8x_Wide.html I paid that 12months ago for a preloved one in new condition from their used dept.

This WAS the new BnH price VideoGuys Australia | Canon WD-H72 .75x 72mm Wide Angle Adapter you'd be cranked if you paid that for one now.

Read the BnH reviews, some guys don't take it off and I agree. It comes with a lens hood but no front thread for a filter. HTH

Cheers.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have a Century .6X adapter that I modded to fit my XHA1S; but just noticed on some HD footage that there was some vignetting around the edges. Never used to notice that; but was shooting mainly SD footage. HD really brings out things!

I'd love to see some footage shot with the Canon converter attached.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Run a search for .. Vimeo video with the Canon WD-H72.

Cheers.
Old March 27th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Major Player

FWIW, I have used the Canon WD-H72 on my A1 for quite some time and recommend it highly. Best bet by far for use on the A1 for a wide angle with zoom-through capabilities.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I wonder if that low BnH price is a run out.

Cheers.
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

hi David, have you looked at the DATAVISION DN-60 as you're considering tapeless workflows? i'm dying to get my hands on one as soon as the next big job comes in. it's discussed elsewhere on this forum. i agree that the wide-angle adaptor is great...i actually haven't used it a great deal, but when i need it, i really need it. i have found my lite panels micro LED on-camera light to be indispensable (you don't mention what kind of shooting you're doing so this may not apply to you?) after a couple of low-light shoots without it. depending on the situation i may use it as key, fill, or eyelight or backlight. it runs on battery and is lightweight so that it's easy to use on the camera or positioned anywhere else i need a small light source.
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stembridge View Post
...Tried out Sony HVR-MRC1s; and while they do work; they don't really have the ability to shoot "card only" using camera controls. The only was is while shooting tape as well. Theres a delay with that as well...
David, you can change both of things in the settings of the MRC1. I shoot with XHA1's with MRC1's, and I can shoot without tape. Also, there's a buffer mode where the MRC1 will record the 14 seconds prior to hitting record, so instead of having a delay, you can actually get some shots you would otherwise miss!
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Bob, I could not seem to figure that out... grrrr I was getting a 4-5 second delay on everything I shot. I returned them, and have ordered one FS-CF... standard. Will try that, may try the DataVideo Cynthia, thanks for the light tip!!!
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Major Player

david - see the attached post for one idea on mounting .. basically using the clip portion of the focus bracket with the heavy part removed, and attaching it to another bracket (in this case a bracket1). note that you have to do a little work to make this one. the thing I didn't like about the mount as supplied by firestore is (a) it's really heavy for no purpose, and (b) I wanted to be able to see the display on the firestore while shooting - too paranoid about shooting and thinking the drive is running when it might not be .. I wanted to see it working all the time.. maybe this will give you some ideas

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-en...t1-photos.html
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #13
New Boot

Loving the Canon Wide Angle adapter for my GL2 I ordered the Canon WA adapter when I bought my new XHA1s.

And I've just ordered the Maxel iVDR VC102 hard drive adapter for it .. back ordered right now.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/747063-REG/Maxell_iVDR_VC102_Video_Capture.html
Richard Amirault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders